You can type here any text you want

85 or 87 engine?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

corkatoa

First post!!
Just brought home my 85 GN a few days ago. Has body/paint issues, doesnt run, but is mostly solid, is complete, and came with an 87 engine and a ton of parts including the engine wiring harness which I am not sure I would need. And it was only $2500 for everything!!!
My question is this: should I rebuild the 85 engine and add the intercooler and associated parts(is that even possible?) or rebuild the 87 engine(already dropped shortblock off at machine shop)? Pros and cons would be nice. Either way, there will be a freshly rebuilt engine for sale on this site soon.
As well, is the MAS stock? There seems to be a box connected inline that doesn't seem factory.
. IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1063.JPG IMG_1072.JPG

MAF is ls1 MAF with a translator box most likely. Rebuild the 87 set up. You will need the wiring harness for the engine swap from 85 to the updated 87. Good purchase.

One more thing. Although the price was great, get your bank account ready for some serious spending if you plan on building the car right. Is this your first buick?

No. Have a well equipped shop and over 40 years working on buicks (and a few others). This is my second GN. First was an 86 in early 90's and was perfect until it was hit. This one is destined to be frame-off in next few months. I am hoping to be into it for around 10k (canadian) when done. Will recoup some costs by selling 85 engine. Will see after it is pulled what it needs. will be posting it here to sell for sure. I will do everything myself except the paint and machining, so that will keep costs down. Will make a build thread after I have something to show.
Have been buying and selling g-body cars and parts for the last 5 years or so, and have made some good $$ on the parts. Have plenty parts to sell and will hopefully take a bite out of the costs of restoring this car.

WELCOME PILGRIM!!!!
You have made one great and almost unbelievable deal! If you are not familiar w/TR's please spend a lot of time reading on this board and asking questions. It will save a lot of money as well as your sanity! Congratulations on the find and again Welcome!!!
The maf is a ls-1 w/a translater, which is more reliable in most cases than the original as well as easier to find. The 87 is recommended over the 85 as it is a better design and will flow more air and you will have more choices for after-market options. You will need the wiring harness for the change over as well as the ecm if it is not already installed. The pictures show it wasn't for a lack of effort that the car doesn't run. It appears that he was trying to squeeze out the ponies. You will have to go thru the car and check on the fuel pump, hot wired, scan master, etc.

Thanks for info!
So I assume I can use that MAF with the 87. I was always thinking the 87 engine would be the one, that is why it has already hit my local machine shop, Cull's Automotive. He is a Buick guy from way back.
As for the ECM, there was an eeprom kit that came with the 87 engine as shown in picture; along with a lot of new stuff to put engine back together.
The story behind why the engine doesnt run is due to the upgrading of the fuel system. The guy was a neighbor of mine for years and took the car in for a fuel system upgrade; pump, injectors and new lines. He drove it once and when he went to start it again, it made a huge bang and never ran again. I have done a compression test and it turns over nice and all cylinders are 140+. Can sure smell gas and the plugs are fouled. Coming out in the next few days. Will get torn down and rebuilt. Then sold.
IMG_1073.JPG

Back