You can type here any text you want

9-bolt girdle cover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gus_Mahn

Today I called TA performance and asked about a girdle cover for the GM 9-bolt http://www.TAperformance.com/tagirdle.htm . I spoke with Dave. He said they have had a lot of interest in this product lately with little in the past. He also said this rear end is popular in Australia and will be used in the new GTO. If there is enough interest, TA may have them ready by spring. If you live near Scottsdale, AZ, they are looking for a 9 bolt to use as a pattern. Perhaps you could loan them a spare, if you have one, and get the cover for free. The price should be between $150-$200. Please call them and tell them you want one. Their # is 480-922-6807.

I know the guy at www.9bolt.com says he will have this product soon, but from what I’ve seen, this project is dragging along for him. It may still be quite a while before he has them. I really feel this is a good addition to the 9-bolt, and TA performance is the best option. Their Ford 8.8 girdle is a very popular addition to many Mustangs. Please call so we can get a cover in the near future.

Thank You

I think the weakness in our rear ends is the size of the ring and pinion, and the posi itself.

Anything to give it a little strength obviously would be welcome.. but I would love to see a posi rebuild kit economically priced..

Anyone price pinion bearings .. its an :eek: :eek: big time.

Shame too..nice rear end.. HD axles, no c-clips, etc.. Had they made them with a slightly larger gear.. they would of been really desirable.

My .02

Nice work BTW..

Dang Razor,

Do you live here? Dave at TA felt like it would offer a positive addition for durability. I know it is a standard part of most Ford 8.8 build ups. Hopefully it will offer a noticeable benifit for us. There was someone here offering shim kits to tighten up our posi's. What do you think of those?

Shim kits would be great. I have never had one of our Posi's apart.. so dont know if a shim issue would be the correct way.. Great idea if it will work. Trust me ..great idea .. need someone to step up to the plate and see if so.

I'm not against the cover, we need all the help we can get, but unlike the Mustang 8.8, they have many advantages from aftermarket posi units to improved gears, axles, etc.. Only one company makes gears for ours.. and they howl as well. GM has abandoned it as a rear end in favor of the Dana 44 back in the early 90's.

I dont see gears breaking on our rear ends, I havent seen the housings break either.. so a girdle will dress it up pretty.. but unless the other issues are fixed.. its more cosmetic.

Am I off target? I ran my original rear end for over two years..only thing I did was kill the posi and tweak the gears. On slicks with numerous 1.6 60 foot passes..some high 1.5's.. never was able to break it.. I tried.. I tried.

Maybe if somone here has been able to break theyre 9 bolt they could shed some light on the subject. Aside form messing up the Posi.

Just thinking, maybe the girdle could prevent the gears from tweaking??? Once the tweak..they howl. If so..then we have more than a need, but a necessity.

Back