You can type here any text you want

9" Torque Converter Install Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chrisk

TurboTransAm.com
I'm going to be installing a torque converter soon and I was wondering if anyone here has installed one in their tta? Also if you have any tips or tricks to make it go easier? Did you drop the trans completley? Or did you just lower it??? Etc. Etc. Any info or guides would be helpful.....

Thanks Much
Chris

I just installed a 9'' converter , but i took the whole trans out for rebuild.
I would suggest to lower it down and do as least as possible. Tip: Take a long zip tie or rope and tie it around the converter to the tranny bolt holes until you get it level again for removal and installation.

Easy job if you have the extra long(3ft) extension and swivel for the tranny bolts up front.

HTH
Bo

Ditto on the long extension.

I'd drop the pan and make sure there is no debris before proceeding. Would suck to install a new converter and pollute it.

The crossover pipe may have to come off, for removing the dust shield. TV cable disconnect it at the TB bracket, drop diveshaft, drop crossmember, watch your coil pack clearance on firewall, get ready for the mess that will come from the tail shaft.

Should take you 1-1.5 hours to drop by yourself on the floor.

Ohh.. fill converter before installing, make sure it seats on pump assembly.

And 9 inch meaning lockup. Non-lockup requires mod to valvebody.

HTH

Pull the dip stick tube out and make sure you don't leave the TV cable hanging loose in the engine compartment when the tranny gets dropped. Because when the tranny "actually" drops that remaining 6" to the garage floor off the jack, the cast socket end part of the TV cable can snag something in the engine compartment and brake into many pieces.............friend told me this:D :rolleyes:

And be careful not to round of the fittings on the tranny lines :mad:

Friend told me this ;)

Originally posted by Razor
And be careful not to round of the fittings on the tranny lines :mad:

Friend told me this ;)

If it weren't for a mini pipe wrench, mine were seconds away from meeting Mr. Hacksaw:D

Thanks So Much for all the feedback...Cant wait to get started......

Chris

I've found if you duct tape a bag or 2 around the tailshaft after pulling the driveshaft it'll help prevent dealing with a total gusher.

Well this past weekend I installed my 9" with out any problems. And all my thanks to the guys here for all the tip and tricks.

THANKS MUCH!!!
On to the Next MOD!!!!!!

Chris

Back