You can type here any text you want

96 mustang gt...not good

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

denn454

turbo swimmer
I work with a guy who has a 96 mustang gt, he always talks about it being pretty fastand he knows my car is also pretty fast but we've never had a chance to really race. today on our way home we get out on an open 4 lane road, not much traffic, hes quite a ways ahead of me and going slow, i'm guessing he wants to race so i figure i'll go for it. so from about a car legnth behind him i hit it and soon after he did too, obviously he took off before my turbo spooled up but even after it spooled up and was running right (no knock) he was still pulling away! he says it just has a new catback with flowmasters, it sounds good but i'm really doubting if thats it. i've got to get my car running right, i did a rough 1/4 with the odometer and a stop watch, 15.3 and 15.6, not accurate, but slow enough that accuracy doesn't matter.

Originally posted by denn454
I work with a guy who has a 96 mustang gt, he always talks about it being pretty fastand he knows my car is also pretty fast but we've never had a chance to really race. today on our way home we get out on an open 4 lane road, not much traffic, hes quite a ways ahead of me and going slow, i'm guessing he wants to race so i figure i'll go for it. so from about a car legnth behind him i hit it and soon after he did too, obviously he took off before my turbo spooled up but even after it spooled up and was running right (no knock) he was still pulling away! he says it just has a new catback with flowmasters, it sounds good but i'm really doubting if thats it. i've got to get my car running right, i did a rough 1/4 with the odometer and a stop watch, 15.3 and 15.6, not accurate, but slow enough that accuracy doesn't matter.

Even from a roll you should have fared a lot better than that against a '96 GT. Once rolling, your turbo should spool pretty much instantly.

He might have had a little more than a cat-back.

If you really think your car is running mid-15 1/4s, get back to basics and make sure you've got your car running right. A scan tool is a must and a spring cleaning can't hurt. If you continue to drive it without it running right you'll lose more than races.

Jim

Well If you're only running mid to low 15's a lightly modded GT is going to get you even a 96.
Get your car running right.
NO excuse to not run at least low 14's!

what the...

my friend has a 96 GT with straight pipes, and intake mods and that thing is SLOW! high 14's at best...i raced him on the way home from the track last night numerous times...walked him everytime and i was only running 15 lbs of boost thanks to me running a cat from emission testing earlier and a whole lot of weight in the car!!! even from a dig with me spinning the tires about 60 ft i was still near his door going out of control...but once i hooked it was ova! 96-98 GT's are rated at 215 horsepower stock...kinda pathetic

a factory bone stock GN would annilate a GT...i know because he also had a 97 GT same mods and my GN back then was FACTORY stock down to the airbox and when i would race him up to 125 mph i would put many car lengths on him...once i hit 125 that damn fuel cutoff kicked in and he would cruise past me at 145:eek:

I was at NED on Wednesday night. There were 4 or 5 of those Mustanges there. They looked fast. ALL ran 14.3 or SLOWER. Yuck.

I know its horrible! i think i'm going to go get turbo link and a lap top, i don't want to spend the money but i know it will be money well spent. i'll also try to get with some people who know waht there doing, i'm still confused by how you can't just turn a screw and lean it out:rolleyes:...i'll get it some day.

Originally posted by Pronto
I was at NED on Wednesday night. There were 4 or 5 of those Mustanges there. They looked fast. ALL ran 14.3 or SLOWER. Yuck.

dont ya know, all mustangs look fast, but arent. :D

Back