'99 Riv Supercharger Coupling

Drew Estaver

Tried to pull the nose on my '99 Riv supercharger to change the coupling, but it fought me so much I just buttoned it back up without changing it. I got an instructional from the coupling supplier that was well detailed, but it just wouldn't separate from the main body.
I did not loosen any of the main rotor housing, vertical hold down bolts, only the snout to rotor housing bolts and the one vertical, longer one on the snout base.
The instructions indicated that the snout would separate with a few rubber hammer blows and some wiggling. She just didn't want to move at all and I thought best not to apply undue force to the issue.
Am I correct in thinking that the base gasket extension that the snout sits on may be what's keeping the snout from moving away from the main body?
If that's the case, I guess I'll just have to loosen the main body bolts to gain some clearance for the snout to pass by the depression in the gasket.
Any advice from your experiecnce will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.... Drew
estaver1@bellsouth.net

I found a link to some instructions with photos on another forum. Let me know if this is helpful as I need to change the one in my wife's 99 Regal. www3.sympatico.ca/aepa/blowerinstall. It is not letting me post the full link. Put the ht... in front and html in back, I think you can find it.

By the way, I have been researching this task. It seems that 518 gasket eliminator is a preferred product to use for reassembly.

Chuck, I just viewed the "Coupling Change Instructional" you suggested at How to replace an M90 snout coupler without removing the entire blower. That's a really well done effort. Everything up to the actual separation of the snout is just as I found when I attempted my coupling change.
I found the picture where the dowels that align the sections are visible, very helpful. I didn't know they were there. I'm sure their close fit into the snout bores make the separation tighter than I expected.
As I mentioned in my original post, I think loosening the main blower body holddown bolts will be required to gain clearance above the front part of the gasket.
Yes, the Loctite 518 is a great product, and just a light smear across the mating surface is more than enough. I've used it in my work as an industrial electrician many times.
I had waited until '09 Thanksgiving to try the original change, after a number of months hearing the "rattle", because I would have access to a garage to do the work. Now that I know the steps, time and tools needed I'll be trying again as warmer weather arrives here in Charleston, SC. (I don't have a garage) I don't think I could do a better job of the pictures and text that
How to replace an M90 snout coupler without removing the entire blower did, but if I encounter any additional noteworthy items I will post them here and send along to your eMail.
Thanks for lending a hand. Drew

I have the green coupler from ZZ Performance. I have ordered and am waiting on delivery for the 2380 oil, amsoil syn gear lube, and 518 gasket eliminator.

I finally got around to replacing the coupler, Now the supercharger is nice and quiet at idle. The 518 gasket maker is real easy to work with. I compared the old GM sc oil with 2380 oil, the 2380 oil is definitely thinner. I would not use the 2380 oil as is for an extended amount of time. I did some stir testing in a glass bowl. Decided on a 16 to 1 mix: 2380 oil to Amsoil syn gear lube. It seems to mix OK. I am running the mix in the supercharger, I will see how it goes.