A/C fan won't switch to high

Hedge

I'm sure this is a simple relay or something but I have no idea where it is. My A/C works and blows cold air. the bottom 3 speeds on the fan work but when I switch it to high it just blows no air at all. Tried searching forums a few times but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I found some posts after I posted this. Looks like it might be a relay on the passenger side. Anybody know the part number by chance?

Go under the hood, passenger side between the fender and the ac box. There is a wire with a plug that the connection gets hokey. Have the key on and the switch on high when you play with it. You will hear the connection arc and the fan start.

Ideally, the plug should be disconnected and both ends cleaned/refreshed.

HTH

Find the fat red wire in the connector shown and wiggle it, if it comes on fix the wiring at that connector.

It's on the passenger side of the car out back under the hood shock near the power antenna, follow the harness it's down there.

It's always hot +12 off a fusible link so be careful or unhook the battery when working on that fat red wire.

Highspeedfanpower2.jpg

Hi,
Yeah, that's B+. You need to repair that one. I would solder in a joint at that point, and be done with it. That particular connector is notorious for frying.I'd get rid of it.

All good info so far, it the above does not work though, GM had a lot of problems with the switch itself in the 80's. The way it was explained to me was that when you get in your car and need the AC or heat about 90% of the time you throw the fan lever all the way up to high. This causes the switch to become damaged on that spot. The red wire is most likely the issue but if not suspect the fan switch in the control head.

Hi,
You are right, I remember a lot of switch failures as well. Sounds like too much amperage to me. My car has climate control, and the blower module fried. Same problem, but C65. Thanks for the input.

Hey for what its worth my 3rd speed (med-hi) doesn't work and all others do. I bought a new relay and it didn't fix anything. I am going to get a new switch from Brain at GBody. He said they are $12.