A/C repair question

Mattthias

My compressor will turn on and turn off intermittently when I try to use the A/C. I understand that this often happens when the system is low on Freon. BTW - My A/C has been previously converted to R-134.

I purchased a re-charge kit with included gauge from the auto store and the system is showing that it is full of freon. I pulled the low pressure wiring off of the switch on the accumulator and "jumped it", The compressor will then run continuously as I assume it should as the a/c is trying to do it's thing.

I am going to replace the low pressure cut out switch on the accumulator. Does that sound like the right place to start?

Can I do this with the system charged - safely? I certainly hope I do not need to empty the system.

Thanks in advance!

Was the system running when you tested the pressure? If not then you need to heck it with the system running and state what the high and low pressures are. The low pressure switch only stops the system from running if it's bad (complete shut down) or if the system is low, and then it comes on and off.

System was running and the highs and lows were checked. Freon appears to be near full. When jumping the wire harness with a key (the one connected to the low pressure switch) it would stay running. I ended up ordering a new a/c clutch switch (low pressure) from Rock Auto. I will give that a shot. Worth trying for $7.