a leak somewhere, but where

wicked6

I have a leak somewhere between my valve cover gasket and my intake plenum on the drivers side. This being near the first drivers side inj starting from the front of the car. I cleaned the residue the other day with brake cleaner and rinsed with water to flush the crap away so I could locate where the leak is coming from. I ran it tonight and see some of it on the injector and near the EGR. Can it be from the EGR. I am pretty sure the car runs rich especially at idle since sometimes I can smell the gas from the exhaust and black crap(carbon) shoots from the tailpipes on my garage floor(Only at start up). Could it be that the EGR is leaking? I smelled the blackish liquid and it did not smell like gas.
:confused:

I had a leaky injector once and I could smell the gas. With the gasoline having a dye soon I could see the intake manifold on number 2 cylinder start to stain.

Replace the injector and things smelled alot better.

I think I used O2 safe carb cleaner on mine.

I got these injectors in November though! Has anyone heard of leaking injectors that are fairly new, less than 3000miles on them????

Hope thats not it, but if so I probably would sell the rest(5) and go to 50s.

An injector that leaked externally onto the manifold wouldn't be considered a "Leaky Injector". Leaky injectors leak internally. If it leaked Externally, a 20 cent O-Ring will make it good as new.

The determine if the liquid is oil, gas or water. All of them pass through, under and around the manifold. I would guess oil, either leaking out the PCV grommet or valve cover gasket. I guess it could also be condensation mixed with carbon leaking out a bad gasket under the EGR valve.

Maybe its alchy blowing out from between the upper and lower manifolds under boost?

It seems more like oil with carbon. I can see and feel the carbon. There is no smell to it. How can I check the EGR. As far as the PCV goes, it is new with a inline check valve(kirbans) and there is no traces of the leak near the pcv valve.

I see the same thing and it is some kind of leak from the EGR.I posted before and never got an answer as to what this stuff is.I took off the intake and completely cleaned all EGR passages and it returned in a very short time.EGR works fine,it just puts out this "gooey" black discharge.I'd like to know why and how to stop it myself.