A treatise on my MAF experience (long)

Black Demon

Brick Maker
Last Christmas the Stock MAF died on my car. During the past few months the following happened:

Borrowed a MAF off a buddies 89'TTA and used for a month decided to get a A-1 Cardone from the local Advance Auto. Ran well, but throttle response was not sharp.

In April replaced tranny and Converter due to a 1-2 flare, and a stock converter not locking. After install, car surged horribly once the converter locked. Ordered another chip which did not fix problem - Blm's dropping to 105 at cruise when surging starts.

Late April, AA MAF dies, take it back get a replacement. 6gps/ sec at idle, 255gps/WOT. Car still bucks, not as badly - Low BLM's at cruise 18-20 mpg at best.

June-Wash inside of engine compartment and let dry. Go for a ride and MAF dies. Back to AA get a replacement. Bad idle numbers, bad surging, bad MAF. Take back get another, start thinking that it is time for a translator. This MAF seems to work pretty good till 2 weeks ago, pull to a stop sign and car dies. Can not get to idle.

Next day call local junkyards looking for either a 3" or 3.5 " GM MAF. Most tell me they don't have. Pull the 3" number off the board and cross reference at AC-Delco. com (213-352) and print 10 pages of vehicles that have the 3" MAF. Go to a junkyard, show my list, pay $60 and leave with a MAF off a late model pickup.

Call Dave@Ramchargers, order translator. Notice current 3" hoses will not fit the new MAF. Measure and it is 3.5 inches. Pull the 4 ribe screws and the number 25180303 (3") is molded into the plastic casing holding the electronics. Call Mark Huffman and order one of his 3.5" MAF aluminum pipes. Call Summit order 9" K&N with a 4" opening. Go ahead and pull screen out of MAF and blend the edges. Get everything together and car runs horribly at 3" MAF setting. Change setting to 3.5" lean and car has assumed its "Incredible Hulk" posture. Idles perfectly, tip in throttle response is excellent, part throttle/light boost will throw you in the back seat!! No more surging once the converter is locked up either! Fun factor is a 10!! Passenger pucker factor is a 10!! Total price for everything was $350 + I got back $93 for the AA MAF.

I've had the car 1 1/2 years, and I have never had a good MAF until now. I should have done this sooner. I don't know if everyone has had the same experience, but glad I can share mine and hope this will help a few people.

Originally posted by Black Demon
Call Dave@Ramchargers, order translator. Notice current 3" hoses will not fit the new MAF. Measure and it is 3.5 inches. Pull the 4 ribe screws and the number 25180303 (3") is molded into the plastic casing holding the electronics. Call Mark Huffman and order one of his 3.5" MAF aluminum pipes. Call Summit order 9" K&N with a 4" opening. Go ahead and pull screen out of MAF and blend the edges. Get everything together and car runs horribly at 3" MAF setting. Change setting to 3.5" lean and car has assumed its "Incredible Hulk" posture. Idles perfectly, tip in throttle response is excellent, part throttle/light boost will throw you in the back seat!! No more surging once the converter is locked up either! Fun factor is a 10!! Passenger pucker factor is a 10!! Total price for everything was $350 + I got back $93 for the AA MAF.

If the 3" hoses didn't fit, its a 3.5" sensor. That's why it didn't run right at the 3" setting.

My car runs much better at the 3.5" setting and I have a 3" MAF.
This thread should be a sticky so no one ever buys a rebuilt or cheapo MAF again. Its not worth it:mad:

haha custom fit DP with a claw hammer, NICE!!

I just got the trans and 3.5 maf and what a diffrence. I used 3' couplers from home depot. 4 bucks a piece and fit great.

Kevin

Similar experience here, just that I didn't bother with the rebuilt MAFs due to everyone elses posts.

MAF Translator...there is no subsitute. :cool:

[:)

You bet!

Same basic story.

Stock unit broke, bought rebuilt unit.. ran terrible.

Purchase MAF translator and use a 4.3L 3 1/2 MAF
Runs good but not right.
Purchase extender chip from Ramchargers.. Runs Killer.

Your right on!
~Scott

Well,I'm confused now, I've been researching for a 3" MAF and thought from posts here and gnttype.org the part number was Delco 213-352, GM #25180303.

But from your install and the numbers on it, it's a 3.5" ?
Can anyone provide/confirm the number for a 3" ?

I was confused also when I got home from the junkyard.

The MAF came off a 2000 Chevy pickup and I assumed it was a 3" based on my cross reference. You can't see a part # until you break the unit down, then you can see the tab with the part number on the plastic insert. This one said 25180303, but the inlet and outlet housing measure 3.5 inches. Since my old MAF tube was beat up, I called Mark Huffman and got his MAF pipe. It dresses up the engine compartment as well as provided a better fit between the turbo and MAF.

The bottom line is, whether you get a 3" or 3.5" and a translator you will be doing yourself a huge favor compared to a rebuilt unit.
If you get one from a junkyard, take a tape measure - It might be the best way to tell for certain what the unit is.

Mike