AC and Heater box removal?

85RegalLimited

Can the A/C be removed without having to remove the heater box? I would like to get rid of the A/C but keep the heater. I figured I'd ask before I go pullin stuff out. Thanks in advance.

If you remove just the evaporator core from the case you won't be loosing much weight. If you go ahead and remove the entire box assembly it would be worth it, IMO.

I think you have to at least purchase a "heat only" box that come on the non-ac equiped cars.

Best bet is to find a regal that came without A/C (not an easy task mind you) and get everything from it, outer box on the firewall (which is the same on all G bodys without air) and everything under the dash as well, controls cables, wiring, duct work ect which is specific to the regal. The earlier cars (78,79) are probably more likley to be found without A/C. I did this converson years ago on an 80 cutlass and was worth the effort IMHO, though I did get lucky and found 2 or 3 cutlass's without air next to each other in the same yard. Good luck on the swap and better luck finding the parts.

If your removing the air, do you really need the heat? I don't use my car on marginal days anyway (hot or cold), so if your the same...heat won't be needed. I live in Michigan with nights that drop off pretty quick in the fall (except this year), you might run into some condensation on the front windshield at worst. However, this can easily be avoided by applying antifog compound to it. As far as the temp in the cabin...well, I just add layers if needed ;)