You can type here any text you want

AC compressor is loud

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
It is making a loud rattle. Can I add oil to quiet it down or is the damage done? If the damage is done what else needs to be replaced when I get a new compressor? Last question...if the damage is done can I run it until it no longer puts out cold air and how long do u think that will be? I had never heard the rattle before so lets assume it started within the last 200 miles. Thanks.

If the compressor is truly coming apart internally you will have to replace the office tube and have the entire system flushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fellow at the parts store advised against using it. He said it could freeze up and break the fan belt. I once read on here that Harbor Freight sells the vacuum machine and gauges. How much can I do myself and how much would a shop have to do? Can anybody recommend a source for a reliable compressor?

I got mine from Highway Stars......refilled the system with R-12 and works like a charm with no unusual noises!
Nice & Cold. We did a complete flush before installing though.
Changed the AC Delco Compressor, accumulator/drier, condenser, AC Line set and new orifice tube, new cycling switch and new cut off switch. Got all these parts from Highway Stars
Think Nick Micale uses and recommends a Four Seasons' compressor (might be a couple of bucks cheaper than the AC Delco).

+1 on Highway Stars. Does it make noise when the clutch is engaged or only when the ac is off? The harbor freight gauges work fine. If you have an old refrigerator, you can remove the compressor and use it as a vacuum pump. the harbor freight pump is about 100 bucks. they also have a vacuum generator setup that uses compressed air if you have a decent compressor they work fine too. not hard to do, I put a few drops of dye in the system when I have it open, in case I ever get a leak down the road its easier to find. If the compressor blew apart internally, its recommended to replace compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and most likely the condenser when the system gets contaminated that badly. Check the orifice tube screen for debris to see how severe the contamination is. Additionally, flush components that are not replaced; evaporator and lines. If ac still blows cold hopefully its just the external clutch bearing. I just replaced the ac clutch bearing on a car (GM) I picked up cheap because it was so loud the seller thought the tranny was bad.

Last edited:
The rattle is likely the bearing. It can be serviced.

Also, you can rent the a/c tools from Autozone. You tube is your friend.
I did mine (first time ever with no HVAC experience at all). Works perfect!!

Also did my sisters car and saved her $700 because the shop wanted to rip her off.

I drove to Auto Zone to get a price on their compressor and clutch repair kit. Compressor was quiet when I got there. So no repairs for now. Thanks for the replys.

I drove to Auto Zone to get a price on their compressor and clutch repair kit. Compressor was quiet when I got there. So no repairs for now. Thanks for the replys.

Mine went out (wouldn't engage) right before power tour last year. So I needed one fast and I got AC Delco from OReillys (it was like $134 I think)? And they had the dryer I needed to and my buddy had a couple of fittings (to convert to R134) and that was it. Drew the system down, flushed it and pressured it back up and it has been cold as witches bosom in a brass brazier ever since.

I was worried about converting my car. However, I couldn't find enough cans of the old stuff fast enough. So I bit the bullet and i don't think I have $200 in the upgrade. But, we traded out some parts I had for labor, fittings and freon. And it's been working perfectly for almost a year now.

I think that Delco compressor is $300 now. Mine is 6 years old from Advance.

I think that Delco compressor is $300 now. Mine is 6 years old from Advance.

Wow! I need to go see if I can find the receipt, I got it through my buddies discount account. Had no idea I got such a deal. Maybe it was more and I just screwed it up! I would have sworn to it though. But, I'll see if I can find it.

Back