Accessory Belt

Boy Buick85

Hey guys I had a question and was wondering if any one could give some suggestions. the Ac was removed from my car about two years ago I just recently finished removing the rest for a Delete plate. Every since the original owner has had the car he has had problems with the Alternator belt Squeaking.

I have replaced the belt atleast four or five times since I have had the car. Usually starting off as a squeak then the belt will completely tear to pieces.
I have tried smaller belts, Adjusting the alt higher to tighten the belt , I have used tooth paste, Soap and Dressing. Also just recently the last one was chewed up , got a smaller size , was fine for a few days then started squeaking again but mostly when throttle is applied:confused: .

I sprayed Some WD 40 on the bolt that adjusts the height of the alternator and on the pully and belt itself squeak has been gone since but I am sure it will come back. What do you guys think???

For some reason, I cant think anything else other than something being out of alignment.

Well the belt is on the right track and does not seem to have any kinks in it :confused: My buddy thinks it could be the Alternator bearings going out ??

well, if you think it's the alternator bearing, have you tried spinning the alt pulley with the belt off? it should spin freely with no binding, and there should be no noticeable wiggle if you move the pulley around.
also check the water pump and crank pulleys, as well.

It's probably due to the fact that the A/C compressor and related brackets keep the aluminum accessory bracket from flexing. You may have a crack in the accessory bracket compounding the problem.

Try bolting back up some of the braces for the A/C. The one that goes behind the bracket to the pass. side header, and the one that goes down to the water pump.

If the belt is squeaking at the water pump, remember that the A/C belt also turns the water pump. Try using a shorter alternator belt so that it lowers the alternator angle to the water pump. The contact area between the alternator and water pump pulley is really small.

Thanks for all the Help Guys :D , Sounds like a plan I will get on it this week and let you guys know how it turns out.

Ohh and by the way Riv THAT CAR IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!:biggrin: :biggrin:
and damn does it sound mean

Hate To Bring this old thread Back from the dead But I Have now ruled out the Alternator and Powersteering as the problem. I dont see how it could be an Alighnment Problem, Everything looks straight. Pulleys Turn Freely when belt is off. What I ended up doing was Tightening the Hell out of the belt Now it Does not Squeal On Start up but once I get into the throttle it starts up??

I Am lost at this point, The only thing I can think of is that the bolt that Adjusts the alternator Position it Comeing loose or Something ?? Any suggestions Would be appreciated ? thanks again Guys

EZ Align<sup>®</sup> Tool - EZ Align Laser Belt Drive Alignment Tool | Gates Corporation

I had the same problem after I switched out my A/C compressor. I used factory parts but there must have been a slight design change somewhere along the way. I could not tell with my eyes, it looked fine but after a while my belt would start to squeal and popped off once. I bought this tool and some different thickness washers from Mcmaster carr and wound up shimming the A/C compressor out. It is very easy to use.
Mike
86 GN

I agree

I seem to agree with the rest of what everyone's saying. I have seen this on other hotair TR's when the Compressor was removed or replaced. But first id make sure the pulley's are in good shape. How much tension is being applied to the belt when its first tightened?

man this is the first time ive posted on here for awhile!! I gotta get back into this!

Boy buick, do you have any pics of your ride? Wait till you get that V2 kit installed, its like night and day! :D

What Do I need to look for on the Pullys?? I changed the Alt SO........................ that only leaves the Pullys? It Has Started to Squeek Again every once in awhile. Is there anything else I can do to check for alighnment Besides that Tool, Kinda Straped for cash right now :redface:

Yeah I am Really Excited about putting the alky and Intake on at the Same Time :D

So have you ever had your Car to the Track BuickTV6. Were did you Feel The Diffrence most........ Off the line or up top???

Yeah I wanna put some new pics up, I have Some old ones from 05 if you all wanna see those

You can always try to take some rope and go around the pullys to see if they all line up or use a ruler and put it in the V groove on one to the other and see if it straight in line. These are just some old school ways to do it that might help you out.