Adjustable fuel pressure regulator question

Interesting info here. I have a few Accufab regulators and never had a problem. Talked to a very reliable vendor on here and he has seen one.

I believe their machining quality has fallen from years ago.

The FPR is referred to in the API world as a PRV or Pressure Relief Valve. It is a multi billion dollar industry and heavily regulated for many good reasons.

There are many many different types of PRVs and what we are dealing with is in essence the most basic of all, and referred to as a direct spring hard seated valve, vs a soft seated valve. We are dealing with a reverse flow PRV on top of that.

Besides the obvious spring . . . a hard seated valve has a metal to metal seal. The ratio of the seat/disk diameter is a critical element in its operation and . . the disk (or poppet) and the seat (picture) have to be flat with surface finish in the 4 micron level. A well designed PRV wil start to lift or bypass about 92-94% of set pressure.

Now . . . if surface finish is not even close WITH A BURR (as in the pic), the valve will continually bypass and never seal. On a car that runs at say 50% of fuel system capacity, it may not be an issue. If the car requires 80% capacity, it will more than likely be a major issue.

I have been heavily involved with a proprietary design of a much better rail mounted FPR design, which will significantly reduce the negative impacts we are seeing today, but will also never see the market.

Probably more than you wanted to know but wanted to explain the reasoning behind the potential impact to your wallet of crap quality.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the explanation sir. Why will your design never see the market?

Where can you get a Bosch 237? No one in Odessa seems to be able to find one.
John

Just go to your favorite auto parts store and have them order you one for a 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am 3.8 engine vin code 7

You could get it from Rockauto.com and save a little bit.

Where can you get a Bosch 237? No one in Odessa seems to be able to find one.
John

I had issues finding them too. The first zero makes the difference searching for the part.

Bosch # 0 280 160 237

I found them on Rock Auto and Amazon for $105 or so