Adjustable Wastegate and ANS Boost Controller

Dan K

After putting a THDP on my car this winter, I decided to take the exhaust housing off of the turbo and port the wastegate hole to match the puck. Before porting it, I could turn the boost up higher than I needed to with the wastegate rod. Now after porting, it seems that it really doesn't want to go much higher than 16-17psi. I really don't feel like cranking down on the rod too much (it's already 5-7 turns past the "slight bit of tension before it pops on" point). In those 5-7 turns, boost is still at 16-17psi.
So I've decided to play with the ANS boost controller that was in the car when I bought it. Turned the knob all the way down and set the controller to control boost. Saw 12psi.
So I'm thinking that when the knob is all the way down on the controller it is using the 12psi spring(?) in the wastegate for it's minimum boost setting. When I crank the knob all the way I get a rock solid 17psi and no knock on pump gas.
So I'm thinking this...If the minimum boost setting is going to be based on the 12psi spring in the wastegate then I might put a HD wastegate on it so that my minimum boost is going to be 17-18psi and then I can turn the boost up with the knob on the boost controller when I have the alky hooked up and flowin'.

Am I right in thinking that the 12psi that I'm seeing is because of the 12psi spring, and that if I put the HD wastegate on the car I'll see a minimum of 17-18psi and then be able to turn it up for the alky?
Or do you think that after porting the wastegate hole (1/16" to 1/8" sealing on the puck)and flaring the inside of it that I'm still just not cranking on the wastegate enough to get the boost up past 16-17psi?

Hope this isn't too long or confusing. :)

I have the ANS boost controller on my car. When the boost controller is OFF, the boost that you get is what the wastegate rod is set at.

If the boost controller is ON, the MAXIMUM boost you will get (knob turned all the way up) is what you got when the boost controller is OFF. The only thing the boost controller will allow you to do is to turn the boost DOWN from the setting you have when the boost controller is off.

For exmaple:
Boost controller off = 17psi
Boost controller on with knob all the way up = 17psi
Boost controller on turning knob down will reduce boost.

As far as the wastegate puck goes...

When you unbolt your downpipe from the turbo, you will see a ring on the turbo around the wastegate hole that the puck will "stamp" onto it. Make sure the "stamp" is larger than the hole, and also make sure the puck doesnt bind. You can check to see if it binds by tightening the downpipe to the turbo with the wastegate disconnected from the arm on the downpipe. Wiggle the "arm" open and closed and see if it gets stuck. You will know when it does.

Good luck man.

OK...

Ah, so it works backwards of what I was thinking.
The controller doesn't turn the boost up, but it can turn it down.
So if I do get the HD wastegate and set it so that I get 20-22psi on the stock turbo for when the alky is on, I can then turn the knob on the turbo controller down to turn the boost down.

I think I'm going to go out today and keep cranking on the wastegate to see if I can get the boost up past 17psi. Just need to go get a little "good gas" first.

Also, I have checked and I have about 1/8" all around the puck where it is sealing on the exhaust housing.

Thanks!