Adjusting Power Steering Belt

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
Hey Ya'll ...I Am not an Idiot but can someone please advise me on Adjusting this damn belt ? I have 4 bolts loose & it still feel's like it's bolted ? I can not move it with a flex bar ? It act's like it's at the end of it Slots , but its not . What am I doing wrong??? Signed, Big Dummy. Oh Yeah , It's an '84 .

It might be another bolt on the back side, if not try a shorter belt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah ... I Hear you ! There isn;t another bolt, though. The unit will go loose , but I just cant' get it tight. I 'll look for a half inch shorter belt. Sometimes I cannot believe these simple fixes can drive one frigg'n crazy !!!! ( Meanwhile , I just R&R'd the Heater core . Alot to it , but its done right ) Thanks again.

So what your saying is your at the limit the adjuster will let you go?there is a bolt hole on the pulley to access the adjuster bolt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yep... That's what i'm saying. This is not an OEM pully . No hole in It. The adjustment bracket has a 1/2' sqaure hole ( GM design , I believe ) , to use a flex bar to allow leverage to be tightened. It feels like that it's at it's limit, on the arc slot. I can see the top one..... there's room. I'm having an awful time trying to see the bottom one.... but it feels like it's at it's limit ? Swings freely loose, so this has got to be the problem. Who knows what the PO/ Builder did or used ???? I may just locate a slightly shorter belt and be done with it.
Thanks for your reply..... Lockman

Well.... The 4th nut is hidden and a PITA to get too... but I did succeed in installing a 1/4" shorter belt. Works great now. Gotta have the power steering right for the Hydroboost brakes .:cool:

Just felt like posting this :
Mines a Gm Hydroboost setup with all four wheels having 11" Bendix brake shoes & drums. Works great. No 'Face Planting' . This is what I'm working on today. Post Note : I've been having on hell of a time adjusting & tightening the PS belt, If you can believe it ! Somethi'n so basic.... yet its been giving me fits !
:banghead:

I found why the 1984 GM adjusting bracket would not pivot . This hard line was holding it in place , by hitting the motor mount . I swear it was just like a 4th hold down nut ! This is for my Hydroboost Pressure line. Ive got to adapt a flex line to this then problem should be solved . Monday Morning , when the Local hose shop opens.
:waiting:

Before PS rigid to flex.JPG

Existing PS Rigid Line.JPG

Well.... The 4th nut is hidden and a PITA to get too... but I did succeed in installing a 1/4" shorter belt. Works great now. Gotta have the power steering right for the Hydroboost brakes .:cool:

It's hidden......'Cuz there ain't one ! :rolleyes:

I found I had to adjust the bracket itself because of the same clearance issues mentioned.

There are three bolts and a nut that need to be loosened before the bracket will move.
Nut on the back that rides in a long slot
Two bolts on the front left that ride in little half moon slots
One bolt buried up under the coil pack that is just a hole with no slot

Once all loosened, it was pretty easy to pull up and towards the fender with my left hand to get the belt tight, then snug the rear nut to keep it in place.