Hot Air w/ Digital Dash - Powerlogger & MAP Install Options

HotAirWH1

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
What works best ?
Getting ready to purchase and install a Powerlogger & 3 Bar MAP sensor on my 85 Hot Air with a digital dash. I understand that I need a 5 vdc source for the MAP since the digital dash cars don’t have the adequate wiring. I do not want to cut into the existing wire harness. As I see it, the two best options would be the Caspers - Sealed 12v to 5v Converter Module & MAP Sensor Splice or the Alkycontrol - TPS Harness.

Option 1.

Caspers Converter Module Sealed 12v to 5v Converter Module

Caspers MAP Sensor Splice – 84/89

MAP Sensor Splice - 84/89

Seems I would need the Caspers MAP Sensor Splice to complete the install. The question is just how long the pigtails are on the Sensor Splice and would the wires reach the analog input block of the PL (behind the glove compartment) assuming the MAP Sensor will install on the PS Fender where the existing Hobbs Switch lives ???

Option 2

Alkycontrol – TPS Harness

TPS Harness — ALKYCONTROL

I like this option, but the question I have is the setup is for an 86/87 TPS. The TPS lever is reversed on the 86/87 compared to the 84/85. Not having the 86/87 wiring diagram, will the male Plug in & wires on this harness matchup with the 84/85 TPS for the 5v supply or are the terminals reversed too (wires in reversed slots) ???

84/85 TPS

A – BLK [return]

B – DK BLU [throttle position input]

C – GRY [5v supply]

Last edited:
What works best ?
Getting ready to purchase and install a Powerlogger & 3 Bar MAP sensor on my 85 Hot Air with a digital dash. I understand that I need a 5 vdc source for the MAP since the digital dash cars don’t have the adequate wiring. I do not want to cut into the existing wire harness. As I see it, the two best options would be the Caspers - Sealed 12v to 5v Converter Module & MAP Sensor Splice or the Alkycontrol - TPS Harness.

Option 1.

Seems I would need the Caspers MAP Sensor Splice to complete the install. The question is just how long the pigtails are on the Sensor Splice and would the wires reach the analog input block of the PL (behind the glove compartment) assuming the MAP Sensor will install on the PS Fender where the existing Hobbs Switch lives ???

Option 2

I like this option, but the question I have is the setup is for an 86/87 TPS. The TPS lever is reversed on the 86/87 compared to the 84/85. Not having the 86/87 wiring diagram, will the male Plug in & wires on this harness matchup with the 84/85 TPS for the 5v supply or are the terminals reversed too (wires in reversed slots) ???

84/85 TPS

A – BLK [return]

C – GRY [5v supply]

Just seen this on an old thread from 2004

1703625551169.png

So then I see this from a thread in 2003 :unsure:

1703626874859.png

So it seems IF the order is reversed on the 86/87 TPS Sensor as stated in the 2004 post then the Alkeycontrol TPS Sensor would have to be repined for it to supply 5v & Ground to the 3 Bar MAP for the Powerlogger. IF the 2003 post is correct then nothing would need to be done. Which Post is correct for the 86/87 TPS wiring? Now the question is would I need to NOT connect the " C- DK BLU (tps wire)" to the MAP since I'm only trying to get a 5v power source in either case ??? Is my thinking correct ? Can someone please verify ?

Last edited:
What works best ?

Option 1.

Option 2

84/85 TPS

A – BLK [return]

C – GRY [5v supply]
I just installed my Powerlogger and went the AlkyControl TPS harness route: plug and and play.

My original idea of having the 3-bar MAP installed near the Hobbs switch (adding a T to provide vacuum/boost source) has changed because of the length of the TPS harness. I would have preferred a service loop of about another 6 inches to be able to follow the existing wireloom heading in that direction.

My plan now is to place the 3-bar MAP sensor on the driver side fender (near the wiper motor) and T off the vacuum/boost line that attaches to my interior boost gauge. Or should I be focusing on the port at the front of the intake manifold for my vacuum/boost source (3-bar MAP)?

I just installed my Powerlogger and went the AlkyControl TPS harness route: plug and and play.

My original idea of having the 3-bar MAP installed near the Hobbs switch (adding a T to provide vacuum/boost source) has changed because of the length of the TPS harness. I would have preferred a service loop of about another 6 inches to be able to follow the existing wireloom heading in that direction.

My plan now is to place the 3-bar MAP sensor on the driver side fender (near the wiper motor) and T off the vacuum/boost line that attaches to my interior boost gauge. Or should I be focusing on the port at the front of the intake manifold for my vacuum/boost source (3-bar MAP)?
It's funny you posted today as I'm headed to the storage unit tomorrow where my car lives in the winter to install my Powerlogger. 🥶 I bought both TPS Harness and Caspers - Sealed 12v to 5v Converter Module not really knowing what I would be getting into and just wanted to cover the bases. Thanks for the heads up on the length of the TPS harness. My thought was exactly as you described and intended to install the 3-Bar MAP by the Hobbs Switch. I was just going to use the vacuum from the Hobbs switch and not have the boost lights on the dash since I have an AEM boost gauge which uses the port at the front of the intake manifold. I am now thinking going your route with the MAP on the DS fender and teeing into the port on the manifold for the vacuum source. Since the Alky Control TPS Harness is for the 86/87 my one concern was the wiring compatibility not knowing the configuration (Blk, Blu, Gry) on an 86/87 TPS. Since you are one step ahead of me, I'll wait until you get your MAP hooked up and see what you report back. By not having my car in front of me, I'm just guessing at this point.

It's funny you posted today as I'm headed to the storage unit tomorrow where my car lives in the winter to install my Powerlogger. 🥶 I bought both TPS Harness and Caspers - Sealed 12v to 5v Converter Module not really knowing what I would be getting into and just wanted to cover the bases. Thanks for the heads up on the length of the TPS harness. My thought was exactly as you described and intended to install the 3-Bar MAP by the Hobbs Switch. I was just going to use the vacuum from the Hobbs switch and not have the boost lights on the dash since I have an AEM boost gauge which uses the port at the front of the intake manifold. I am now thinking going your route with the MAP on the DS fender and teeing into the port on the manifold for the vacuum source. Since the Alky Control TPS Harness is for the 86/87 my one concern was the wiring compatibility not knowing the configuration (Blk, Blu, Gry) on an 86/87 TPS. Since you are one step ahead of me, I'll wait until you get your MAP hooked up and see what you report back. By not having my car in front of me, I'm just guessing at this point.

I hope this helps.

I just finished up my 3-bar MAP sensor install (w/ TPS harness) and can confirm that the weather pack connector (MAP sensor end) needed to be re-pinned for my application (84/85 TPS):

Alky Control TPS Harness Weather Pack Connector (MAP sensor End) = Pin A (BLK +5V), Pin C (GRY -)

"Fix" = Pin Swap, Pin A is now (GRY -), Pin C is now (BLK +5V)

Attachments

• 20240131_185904.jpg
    20240131_185904.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240131_191506.jpg
    20240131_191506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I hope this helps.

I just finished up my 3-bar MAP sensor install (w/ TPS harness) and can confirm that the weather pack connector (MAP sensor end) needed to be re-pinned for my application (84/85 TPS):

Alky Control TPS Harness Weather Pack Connector (MAP sensor End) = Pin A (BLK +5V), Pin C (GRY -)

"Fix" = Pin Swap, Pin A is now (GRY -), Pin C is now (BLK +5V)
Thanks for the report & verifying the re-pinning of the Alky Control TPS Harness Connector. The other end of the harness (TPS end) did not need any switching ???

Thanks for the report & verifying the re-pinning of the Alky Control TPS Harness Connector. The other end of the harness (TPS end) did not need any switching ???
Not at all (TPS end). Here's a picture of the vacuum line run (follows vapor canister line) from intake manifold to driver side fender (3-bar MAP)

Attachments

• 20240130_184536.jpg
    20240130_184536.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Not at all (TPS end). Here's a picture of the vacuum line run (follows vapor canister line) from intake manifold to driver side fender (3-bar MAP)
I like what you did there. I think that's where my MAP sensor will live too & sourcing my vacuum from the intake manifold. Got the new ECM with Power Logger installed yesterday along with the Scanmaster 2.2 chip update then ran out of time. Going back this weekend to finish up installing the MAP sensor & hooking up the AEM gauges to the PL analog block. Fire up the computer, cross my fingers and hope everything works. 🤔 Thanks for the pic's.

Look at this dam thing. This pic shows what came out of the box from Alkeycontrol.com. This isn't right. Right ? The Alky Harnesses male plug to the TPS has the green wire (sensor output) going to Pin A then the female end of the Alky Harness to Pin B (plugged into cars wiring harness). Looks like they screwed up or am I missing something here? That's why I questioned if you had to re-pin the TPS end of the harness. Your pic shows the green wire from the harness pinned to the B. I know the 86/87 are different from the 84/85. Black (GND) & Gray (5V) are reversed at pin A & C respectively, but the Dark Blue (Alky Harness Green) is the same Pinned at B. Is this harness for the TTA cars?
Alky Control Harness.jpg

Last edited:
Look at this dam thing. This pic shows what came out of the box from Alkeycontrol.com. This isn't right. Right ? The Alky Harnesses male plug to the TPS has the green wire (sensor output) going to Pin A then the female end of the Alky Harness to Pin B (plugged into cars wiring harness). Looks like they screwed up or am I missing something here? That's why I questioned if you had to re-pin the TPS end of the harness. Your pic shows the green wire from the harness pinned to the B. I know the 86/87 are different from the 84/85. Black (GND) & Gray (5V) are reversed at pin A & C respectively, but the Dark Blue (Alky Harness Green) is the same Pinned at B. Is this harness for the TTA cars? View attachment 397371
With only one TPS Harness part (number) on the website, I'd say a qc issue. Checkout the TPS Harness image from the website, the male plug (to TPS sensor) shows GRN (sensor output) on Pin B.

Attachments

• Clipped_image_20240202_064214.png
    Clipped_image_20240202_064214.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes. I guess I'll just repin the whole Alky Harness and get the correct color wires to the right pin locations for the Hot Air car. NOT so much for plug & play 🤣