You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket Crank Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86gn

Glenn is slow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have a buick motorsports steel crank in my car and have been dealing with a rear main leak. After doing some reading and looked @ it again in the car it has no knurled part to it. Would a rope seal or something else help with this or am I stuck unless I pull the crank??

Yes

I went through this winter before last. Does your eng. take a Buick seal or Chevy seal? If it takes a Buick seal as mine does, I had to take the crank out and have it knurled. Some guys are able to run a smooth seal (Buick) on a smooth crank without leaking. I could not!!! If the crank has been hardened, it will have to be done by hand.

Takes a buick seal, I have had no luck with keeping it from leaking.

I've been wondering if this is a line bored block problem more than a crank problem

my reasoning would be the more the cap is cut down the more crush you'd get on the seal when torqing the cap down

the buick style seal in the grove would have more tendency to destort than a chevy style seal sitting on a ridge

maybe shortning the cap half of the seal some to reduce crush on it would help

just some of the thoughts I've had on this problem

Back