You can type here any text you want

aftermarket exhaust

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tracy

What are my choices for a nice aftermarket exhaust? My car does not have OEM tips so I'd like a nice looking system with nice stainless tips.

Brother

Hey Captain Mark,

I get the idea from your handle and the pics you're in the fire service. I'm an engine co. lieutenant the Chicago suburbs, been on the job 14 years. Stay safe and thanks for the tip.

Any exhaust that's made for a 3rd gen. You just have to get the 2 bolt setup like stock if you want bolt in.

I'm running a SLP cat back.

I welded the factory stainless tips onto my ATR 3" system. I bought the system used and the original tips were bent poorly (I know, big suprise there). Car now looks 100% stock but does not sound stock with a TH 3" DP and ATR 3" cat back.

This comes up from time to time, and used to come up quite a bit on the old TTA list over at topica.com. Any way, at the time I changed mine out the generally will liked set up in terms of $$ and sound was a Hooker system. It is not a stainless system, it is almuminized. The price, however, is very good for what you get. It is all mandrel bent, installs with stock location hangers, and has a stock location 1 in 2 out muffler. The intermediate pipe also has a joint just before the rear end so that you can work on it without cutting it or dropping the diff. It comes with 2 "split" outlet chrome tips. Similar to the stockers but larger and without the back cut to give that down angle look. I was going to splice on the stock tips but the hooker ones grew on me. Here is a shot of my car to give you an idea of what they look like.

http://www.goattraks.com/modules.ph...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Other than that I would say that if you go this way there are 2 things to look out for. The kit instructions say to use the included clamps till you can get it welded. I prefered to be able to break it apart as needed so I ran up to NAPA and picked up some stainless band clamps to replace each of the "U" sytle clamps in the box. The band clamps will not crush the pipe like the "U" clamps will. The same clamps can be had for less at most heavt truck parts stores. These are the same clamps you get to hold the DP to the elbo on a Terry Houston DP. I also would not weld it up. I had to take it loose and adjust it a couple of times to get the rattles out. It is a tight fit no matter whose system you use. The second thing is that I had problems with the stock hangers out behind the muffler. Mat mount points matched up but the actual hangers did not agree with the pipes. I simplty ran up to AutoZone and picked up a couple of those universal kits that have some brackers and a lenght of thick rubber drilled with a series of holes. A little snipping on what was in the kit and I was good to go.

Brent

Back