You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket front covers, are they better now or should they be avoided?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve

I have always used a modded stock cover on my builds but I do not have an extra front cover for my new build so I am considering getting an aftermarket one. I know years ago there was some qaulity issues with the aftermarket covers but I have have not heard about any issues lately so I thought they may be better. If some are OK which ones are the ones to get or should I just buy a used stocker and mod it? Thanks

Hit and miss. I had one that installed great with no issues. Had another that the oil passages were so crazy thin I hit air doing the Earl Brown mod. Then, I had a third one that the oil mods went well, installed fine, then the damn cam sensor hole was about 15 degrees slanted or crooked. Effing cam sensor wouldn't install, and this was the final piece installed before firing the motor...

You can either give it a shot with a Melling or Silver Seal, or go through a vendor like TA, etc and spend more money, but possibly get a better product. I can't remember what they all sell, but I try to support vendors as much as possible instead of saving $5-10 going through local yocals like Auto Zone...

I've got a brand new (aftermarket) from Full Throttle I'll cut you a deal on if you decide to get a new one. :)

Get a TA cover!!

The GM one, brand new the pump cavity is outsdie of their own specs. TA is the way to go as teh tolerances is one the money.

The others have porosity, cam sensor hole bored out of alignment, oil pump drive hole too small, etc etc.

TA and be done

Dutweiller told me GM is the best if you can get one. found one new on ebay for 200.00

I need a new cover too. I was running my car hard and the coolant came steaming out from the cover. Mechanic said it was pitted where it sealed with the block. How hard is it to replace the cover (and water pump, oil pump, etc.)? I see TA sells a high volume cover. Is this needed?

High volume cover is personal preference, but if your oil pressure was good with a stocker, stick with it. Too many stories of cam sensors wearing due to excessive pressure placed on them with the HV covers. Front cover is not a hard job, just time consuming. Removing the harmonic balancer is the biggest pain of the job.

High volume cover is personal preference, but if your oil pressure was good with a stocker, stick with it. Too many stories of cam sensors wearing due to excessive pressure placed on them with the HV covers. Front cover is not a hard job, just time consuming. Removing the harmonic balancer is the biggest pain of the job.

Yes, oil pressure was fine. Thanks!

Back