You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket Timing Cover. 1/2" oil feed hole/

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

williambavila

William Avila (The Buick Guy)
I just purchased a aftermaket timing cover and drilled out the oil feed hole to 1/2" and noticed the hole now is going into the bolt hole that holds the cover to the block. Here are 2 pics of the cover after being drilled. My question is has anyone (earl) had this happen? What are the options???

Attachments

• cover,,.jpg
    cover,,.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 188
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 191
That's one of the many reason's I don't mess with chinese covers. That doesn't happen on GM covers. Before you get too in-depth, put the drive gear in the bore and drop a cam sensor down it's bore. If they won't engage, chalk this on up as a lesson. It's pretty common for those bores to be non concentric. If you read the comments in my article and do a search there's many people that put a lot of time in a cover just to learn at the last minute the cam sensor won't drop in.

To save that cover will take some machining ($$) to attempt it. Keep in mind any patch will see close to 100PSI of pressure for the life of the cover. So the last thing you want is to have oil spraying out instead of going to the bearings after you get it all together.

If you spot face that bolt boss and use a copper sealing washer you MIGHT get it fluid tight.

I guess it's depends on how vested you are in that casting. Personally I'd never chance my engine, turbo and cooler when it's already thrown you a flag. But that's just me.

I just purchased a aftermaket timing cover and drilled out the oil feed hole to 1/2" and noticed the hole now is going into the bolt hole that holds the cover to the block. Here are 2 pics of the cover after being drilled. My question is has anyone (earl) had this happen? What are the options???

Really sorry this happen to you. But IMHO I would Not throw any more time or money at that cover, however what I would do is buy a Earl Brown cover put it on and forget about it. It will still be good when you and the car is other wise dead

son of a bitch... Oh well I guess that is a $50 lesson learned the hardway... Thanks Earl I do appreciate the help

Dude, if you're in it $50 I'd walk away.

These engines and turbo's aren't cheep and sometimes (but not often) the universe will throw you a warning shot across your bow....

I'm not there but it sounds like you got a warning shot.

Granted it sucks but losing 50 clams is still a cheep lesson when it comes to these stupid cars!

Back