You can type here any text you want

AIR/Smog pump idea

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

I once read about someone using a AIR/smog pump to pump air into the up-pipe just ahead of the turbo. The idea was that the extra oxygen would react with unburnt hyrdocarbons, expand and create more exhaust flow, thus faster spool-up. I guess this could make sense becuase there would be an increase in gases produced as hydrocarbons became CO2 and H20. But there a lot more to it than that and the only way to know for sure is to test it.

I think I have an easy way to do this and maybe I'll give a shot this weekend. Maybe you can try it to and see what happens. The Smog pump output can go three ways. (This is for the '83 TR, other years should be similar)

1. To the the air cleaner box (usually during deceleration)
2. To the converter (during closed loop/warm)
3. To the back of the intake and then the exhaust ports (during open loop/cold)

WARNING: this could kill the converter if you still have it.

If your converter is gutted or gone, then there is no need for AIR going to it. By either unhooking the switching valves or feeding them constant power (I'll get back to you on which it is) the converter air can always be sent to the intake/exhaust. This is pre-turbo, so it should have the same effect as plumbing it to the up-pipe, just a longer path. The extra volume of air may help assist the turbo (sort of a supercharger-turbocharger arrangement). It can't help at boost, but it might help with the lag (when backpressure is low).

Will it work? :confused:

Glad to see someone is going to actually take this on.
I would be very interrested to see the results:D
OLD SCHOOL or OLD WIVES TALE:confused: :confused:

I was wanting to try this out myself but my pump is froze up & I haven't had any luck coming across a larger used unit.
I had pretty much abandonded that idea.
What I also want to try out is injecting Co2 before the exhaust housing. If I pre-heat the incomming Co2 by either running the Co2 line close to my exhaust headers or merging the Co2 in the up pipe where it has time to merge with the hot exhaust gasses or possibley both. The point of this is that heat dramatically drives up the pressure of Co2. 3,000 psi.+ I'm told is possible.

Putting that AIR pump to some additional use is a great idea! ( At least for you turbo cats....:rolleyes: ). The '81 set up is mostly diverted to the air cleaner or pushed to the back of the intake. ('81's have no cat hook-up :D ).

I've kept my pump because it still works well and it is'nt hurting anything. Most guys rip it off in the belief that the one less pully lightens the load on the engine thereby increasing HP. That's cool too....but I'll keep mine.

Good luck Rich.....great idea! :cool:

This is a no-go. I quickly realized before I did it that the air introduced at the back of the manifold is pre-O2 sensor. This would cause the car to run poorly. Which explains why there is an air tube going to the cat for closed loop.

Since my convetor is a "free-flowing" type ;) , the smog pump is no longer useful, but I don't want to remove it. I guess I've have to do so more thinking about it.

It would be easy to increase the pumps output. JUst get a smaller pulley from the junkyard (and a new belt).

Originally posted by b4black

, the smog pump is no longer useful, but I don't want to remove it.

I removed the a'c & the smog pump from mine & I must warn that the fact. triple acc. bracket isn't as sturdy with the pumps removed. I had to line the alt. belt up & bend the bracket to the correct possition:o

When I eventually remove my power steering I hope to move the alt. to the other side of the motor like the sfi cars. Unless someone else knows of another good way to mount the alt. on the pass. side?

Back