Alky and NOS

mike

I just have a couple of questions. First my car is pretty well built with the usual stuff and I was thinking about the SMC Alky kit and nitrous. Can someone tell me about the alky, like what do I need? What kind of chip? I have the stock MAF, can I use that one? Also, what would be better, getting nitrous or get the alky or both?

I am a big nitrous fan but I would not run both. Seems tuning would be very hard. Which one depends on you setup. If you have the big turbo, intercooler, injectors, and any other add-ons, I would go the alky setup. If real close to stock I would go with the nitrous. Just one mans opinion.

Chuck

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me a little info on the alky then, if possible? I would need some specifics on what else I would need to have it run good.

NOS/Alky

There's a guy here who has a 70 Monte Carlo, again this is not a turbo car. He runs a 500 Caddy with a tunnel ram with 2 large carbs. He runs a 200 squirt of NOS and his homade alky kit comes on in sync.with the NOS spray. He runs 91- pump gas. He says it works great,most can't believe he runs pump gas. This car runs hard here at altitude in the low 11's high 10's. The alky compensates for the 200 squirt.Don't know his tuning tips or timing but it works for the big Caddy. He doesn't have to run race gas either. Don't see why it couldn't work if you had the knowledge base and the right electronics/scan tools to control/monitor both simutaneously. There's another out fit that uses propane instead of ETOH with NOS that comes on in sync for the Viper. Both ETOH and PROPANE have high octane properities that would protect and allow for the increase in 02 charge that NOS provides. So I would think if done right one could theoretically use Alky with NOS and not have to use high dollar race gas and get close to the same results at reasonable boost levels. But as wilkinshc say tuning maybe tricky, then again one would just have to experiment and prudently bring the boost up with ZERO KR and fine tune. Start also with lower NOS charge like 75hp, then TWEAK from there and pray! LOL. I'm sure headgasket failure would be a concern and one would have to tune judiciously. My car was run by wilkinshc and it run mid 12's, it also blew head gaskets for him, so maybe a little alky would have helped or bigger injectors?:D Actually I like the car from wilkinshc and will be installing an SMC kit this weekend, I'll leave the NOS for the pros! I'll stick with the cheap ETOH and 1.50/gal. 91-pump gas. LOL!

Actually if you really need to run the nitrous and Alky, I would run alcohol instead of gas. Just adjust the jets on the gas side for alcohol. But with the bigger turbo, intercooler, and addons I would not run the nitrous as you are pushing the motor already. I blew a headgasket because I went with higher level of nitrous (175hp) and the fuel system did not keep up, not because of octane. I would still stay with the alky system and not the nitrous in your case.

Blackbadge, running a stock setup and alky system will only see my taillights.:eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

Hey tail lights

That's why I said BIGGER injectors(equates more fuel,not just octane part of the equation) weren't you running 009s at 80% duty cycle, .That's what Lubrant said when I sent the chip to get re-burned for my slow stocker.He didn't understand why you wanted it that way , but as he said he'll burn to customer's specs. He said no wonder she ran out of fuel. I didn't realize you pushed it to 175 no wonder she let loose. Will be putting a bigger turbo and alky system this weekend, and yes I know you'll always be a cut above. I'm just shooting for 13 flat or faster as mine is a daily driver, and I'd be satisfied with that here at altitude. Like I said I'm not a pro and I' m learning from Streetking and Jackman they can definately run hard(in reality you will be looking at Streetkings tail-lights, so you better fix up your stocker, those GNX flares won't make it run faster). We just don't have the knowledge base and experience that you have. See you at the track if it ever opens, I'll be the one waving to you in your rearview mirror. If only my wife would let me spend more money then I could run with the BIG DOGS!! LOL,

Ooh My,

Sounds like we should have a little wager here, yours against mine, and STREETKING against my or even EDS stock and nitrous Mutant. :D :D

As for JL, I took the chip the way he recommend it be burnt, I just gave him the setup (stock turbo, stock intercooler, 009 injectors, and nitrous) and he came up with the chip parameters. And why would running 009s run me out of fuel. Hope JL didn't really say that. Running 009's and walbro 307 should not run out of fuel on a stock setup. The 175hp nitrous might and did in my case but then again you didn't know that.

And those GNX flares will give me the aerodymamics of the TTA, so don't be making fun off my Flares:mad: :mad: :mad: :D

And I still will beat you even with all that weight advantage you have over me and the only time you be waving at me from the rearview mirror is when I pushing with the Suburban when you break down from a lack of tuning a NON-WILKINS chip. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Chuck

blackbadger

I HAVE BEEN STREET RACING IN THIS TOWN FOR QUITE SOMETIME AND THAT BLUE MONTE HAS TO BE SCOTT FROM YEARWOOD....PRETTY FAST CAR , BUT I HEARD HE LOST TO A SMALL BLOCK CAMERO THE OTHER NIGHT:confused: BY THE WAY MR BADGER GOOD TO SEE ANOTHER ABQ GUY ON HERE WHAT DO YOU RUN ON THE STREET:cool:

THE MUTANT IS ONLINE

SPRAY TO THE GREAT GODS OF NITROUS:eek:

SPOOL THAT THAT BABY UP TO 15 LBS AND SQUIRT THAT NIPPLE LIKE THERES NO TOMMAROW:D :D :D :D

WHEELS UP BABY ;) SICK BABY SICK:mad:

Rearview mirror? Wilkinshc

WILKINSHC you are quick witted ,but you need to read my post I totaly agreed with you, as my car will only be a 13sec. car.I know you are the man. It's nice to see you have the chip thing down pat, a whole 3mos now, yep you da man. I imagine after 6mos with hooked on phonics you'll be able to read maybe not totaly understand what was said . Soon you'll be able to read the content and context. Read carefuly and sound out the following.(AEIOU) LOL, I said you would be waving at me thru your rear view mirror and I'd be waving back at you. Just because you got hooked on Phonics doesn't mean you understand the content and context. You can sound out the words pretty good BS. LOL! Just ribbing you man , Wilkinshc I could careless, I like these cars, and it don't take no rocket scientist to bolt on HORSEPOWER, and to tune these cars, it takes greenbacks not graymatter! And there are alot of Chip guys out there. I'm glad we can rib each other hope you don't take this to heart man as we are in the fellowship of Hooked on Boost. I like my Boosted Buford!:D

BOTLFED

Yes you are right it is the guy from yearwood. There's some fast cars in ABQ> no one has the the market cornered. For awhile I was running 20lbs boost with an ATR-Pitbull (high-timing chip),36lbers,walbro 340. She was scootin pretty good.The pump went south and sent it back to Cotton so I dialed everything back down. Hopefully with the turbo upgrade(800cfm) a new 340 and the smc alky kit, pushing air thru Streetkings old D-necked IC,I'll be able to hang with some of the movers and shakers in ABQ. Thanks for welcoming this newbee aboard, appreciate it! I'll look for you ,we are usually in a white 86 t-type or my slo-mo 87 GN.!

EDS car

Man wilkinshc the TUNER you would have thought that you of all people would have been able to get EDS car at least running(idling) for the Colorado event(no Smack down that weekend). Maybe it was the chip?LOL Races aren't won on a dyno or solely on NOS. :Lot of people go fast with out laughing gas, there's nothing wrong with NOS, I'm just saying there's more then one way to skin a cat. I'd like to see Ed and Lee go it should be pretty close because both guys' cars I believe are pretty close in DYNOED slips. It would definately be a good race.:D

BlackBadger,

To rum 13's you don't need a bigger turbo and injectors or even the alky system. Infact I run a 13.64 with that car before the air was off and with all stock, including injectors,turbo, intercooler. You should be going faster with more mod and long as you tune it correct to the combo. And I did read that I was going to see taillights. So no hooked on phonics for me. :p Guess you did say I would see you in my rearview mirror. Maybe we should give you some driving lessons if your run slower then 13's now. :D :D Maybe they have hooked on phonics for driving a Turbo car.

If all else fails hook up that nitrous tank to where the alky tank goes and you will see the light my son. ;) ;)

And chips are so easy even you can do one. :eek:

Chuck

We all boost or spray together.

Chip-Man

It's been fun engaging you , You win I give up, actually I'm looking forward to learning more about tweaking these cars(trial and error)I have a long way to go,. It's been fun yanking each others chain. See you aroundtown . Just remember things are actually closer then they look in the mirror. Don't be surprised if I slip up on ya at least once. Yes you did run 13.64, and if you read my post it said 13 flat or lower. I was being conservative, as I'm sure she runs in the 13's, but the track isn't open to see what she'd actually do with me at the helm, Chuck if I could get her down to a 12.98-13.00. I would be content.:eek: It would be nice if I could knock .64 seconds off. I would be elated:D . Your old car has the potential to do just that and more, now I'm still learning and I admit , It's all about getting her out of the hole,and God willing I should be able to learn that too, practice makes perfect. It's too bad they shut our old track down. Because I need practice on my launches(need to be more consistant.) I'm fortunate/blessed that my wife bought me the SMC alky set-up for our 13th anniversary( I may not run faster but it will sure save on the expensive race gas), Man she used to hate the car(money-pit), little by little we are getting your old car back into shape cosmetically/externally(new paint) and internally(as mentioned in earlier tread), it's been a slow go(lack of funds poor-boy). When and if ever we get a track I would be more then willing to give it a honest go, win, lose or draw, it's about doing something we both like to do RACE and this Buick thing has bit me(bit me hard). Not a grudge match but 2 sportsmen being able to compete and enjoy these Fine automobiles a 1/4 mile at a time. I can understand why you got another car, they are fun to play with, and once your bit by the BOOST monkey your hooked. PEACE:)