You can type here any text you want

Alky Kit recommendations

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I own a stock TTA with 39 grand on the odometer. Car runs great...but I am constantly frustrated with the quality of 91 Octane at the Cal pumps these days. Has anyone on this board run an alky injection kit just for the sake of remediating the gas octane issue alone???? Primary concern for me isn't to run in high 11s.... primary concern it to get the most close or near stock boost -- 17-19 psi max at WOT. The primary reason I believe that octane is an issue is due to the fact that when I seem to fill up a tank full of crappy gas... all I have to do is fill up 3-4 gal of 100 octane on top of the 91 and the sluggish perf disappears. It seems that I usually get a tank full of crap every 4 fill ups... I want some consistency to stabalize my perf...thus I am thinking of the alcohol injection route....

Any recommendations on a good kit?

You couldn't have come to a better place. Razors kit from what I've heard is 2nd to none. Alkycontrol.com

First thing you have to do is get a scantool to tell you what is going on from all sensors ( scanmaster) then you can decide weather an alky kit or chip change is good for your situation.

Razor's Alky control is a great product that will give you the results you are looking for. I set my car up with the kit for the same reasons & have been blown away by how good this product really is. I firmly believe that every Turbo Buick should be equipped with one!

Alkycontrol

Thanks guys!

Now for the ? How difficult is this kit to install? I am pretty good under the hood and prefer to do my own work... BUT my exp doesn't extend to the higher eschlone of custom chipping and stuff like that.

If I was to pay $$$ to have it installed...what would I be looking at in labor? I take it a custom chip and new boost gauge would be required if I wanted to go a couple lbs over stock 16 1/2.

Do it yourself. Takes about 6 hours for a first time going slow making sure all your connections are solid.

A Turbo Tweak Alky chip is the one to get. He has the tuning perfected for use with Razor's kit. A real boost gauge would also be a good idea as you should be able to raise the boost several pounds with NO detonation.

TurboTweak Home

What chip are you running now? 17-19# is too much boost for the stock chip for sure on todays gas, 91 or 93 octane. Its sluggish from all the knock /spark retard your getting, which going unchecked will hammer your crank/rod bearings and possibly blow a head gasket.
Whatever chip you get, the timing needs to be reduced a lot from stock at WOT, probably to around 18 or 19 degrees, then you can run 16-17# no more. Stock chip has a wh opping 26* at WOT and full 256 Load value. (why does it *** out that word.. w h o p p i n g??)
Add alky and run 22-23# on the stock turbo..any more than that will not do much good.

What chip are you running now? 17-19# is too much boost for the stock chip for sure on todays gas, 91 or 93 octane. Its sluggish from all the knock /spark retard your getting, which going unchecked will hammer your crank/rod bearings and possibly blow a head gasket.
Whatever chip you get, the timing needs to be reduced a lot from stock at WOT, probably to around 18 or 19 degrees, then you can run 16-17# no more. Stock chip has a wh opping 26* at WOT and full 256 Load value. (why does it *** out that word.. w h o p p i n g??)
Add alky and run 22-23# on the stock turbo..any more than that will not do much good.

Thanks for the info. No I am planning on the Alky kit so that I can run a MAX at 18-19 lbs on a stock turbo. The reason for the alky is not to have the fastest running car on the street...it's really for insurance to overcome the crap gas.

BTW.... I am running 16 1/2 lbs on so called 91. When the temps reach 80 degrease outside... that's when full stock boost at WOT get's sluggish. Is that normal on today's gas. Like I said before...all I have to do is run a test on 3 gal of 100 on top of the crap 91 and the BLUES are remediated.. so I am pretty sure that OCTANE is the primary reason for issues...

so I am pretty sure that OCTANE is the primary reason for issues...
If you still have the stock chip, its the 26* of timing, you'd be lucky to run 12-13# with no knock with 26* timing on todays gas. Even though its still 91 or 93 octane, it ain't the same as gas back in '89.
Get an adjustable Turbo Tweak chip, set it for around 18-19* and see how it performs.
But you really need to get a Knock Gauge or scan tool to tell you when your getting knock..if you are feeling it getting sluggish, you ARE damaging the internals of the motor. You need a gauge or scan tool to tell you when you are getting any kind of knock before you "feel" it.
Any turbo car needs some tool to tell them they are getting knock, bone stock or not.

If you still have the stock chip, its the 26* of timing, you'd be lucky to run 12-13# with no knock with 26* timing on todays gas. Even though its still 91 or 93 octane, it ain't the same as gas back in '89.
Get an adjustable Turbo Tweak chip, set it for around 18-19* and see how it performs.
But you really need to get a Knock Gauge or scan tool to tell you when your getting knock..if you are feeling it getting sluggish, you ARE damaging the internals of the motor. You need a gauge or scan tool to tell you when you are getting any kind of knock before you "feel" it.
Any turbo car needs some tool to tell them they are getting knock, bone stock or not.

Thanks for the insite.. A scanmaster will be my first invest. For now...I am going to adj the wastegate to only permit 12 lbs at WOT. Checking the IAC and TPS and 02 will be my first choir when I hook up the tool.

Back