You can type here any text you want

Alternator help?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87GNcospg

Send your Donations
this is for my 1984 Monte Carlo SS. same as a Gn but slower ;) .
well here is my current set up on my stereo.
2 12' Type R's
1 farad(sp) cap
Pheonix Gold t1200.1 rated at 1490ww
Alpine cda-7893
ALpine speakers up front and focal components in the rear shelf.

well i just recently "blew up" my amp. its still under warranty so its out getting fixed. well my sound guy told me it was either because the ground going to my cap was a little loose or my alternator was too weak to power the amp
pheonix gold tests their amps before they ship them. the amp comes with a "dyno" sheet of what its output is. i was looking at mine and it was tested drawing 155amps!!!.
well the alternator i have on the monte is rated at 78amps.

:confused: where can i find an alternator powerful enough to get my amp running at full potential?:confused:

i was thinking about going to auto zone and getting an alternator for a 96' impala ss. i think they are rated at 140. is that enough too keep my stereo going?

From back in my audio days............. I have a PPI 210 Amp alternator. It is externally regulated. If I can find it, I will sell it to you for $125.00 (I paid $575.00). It easily charged my three batteries powering 7 Sound Stream amps.

Send me an e-mail if you are interested.

Throw the cap in the trash, Make sure to upgrade the ground at the car battery - Use 4 gauge from battery to body and body to engine.
Use 4 gauge from the alternator to the battery too (charge lead).
THEN put in a higher output alternator.

thanks for all the help.
i do need an alternator no matter what though. 78 amp alternator is not gonna cut it for my stereo amp.

Originally posted by CallMeMud
Turbobuick s .com has an 200 Amp upgrade for $79.00

where do i find this heck of a deal for the alternator on turbobuick s.com?

As for the 200 amp on tubobuick s..... have them rate it at full temp, then decide if it is a deal. The 210 amp rating on the alternator I am refering to is modest. It was designed for a competition level system.

i dont really trust the whole DIY thing for my alternator. again, this is for the alternator on my 84 monte carlo ss. it is rated at a puny 78 amps. im not sure how similar the SS's alt is to the GN. i would like to know what it pulls at idle(the 200 amp upgrade). isnt it like 40% of its max rating or something like that for most alt's?

so does anyone know if the impala ss alternator is good enough for my amp? i will be picking one up if i cannot get this 210amp one from ULUZ2A6.
thanks

I'll bet the 200A "upgrade" is nothing more than a stator with fewer windings and sone new diodes. That is not a real high output alternator. It will create absolutely no power at lower engine rpms. Better off doing it right and fit a large case externaly regulated alt in there. FWIW Delco got it right with the GN alternator. It is a good combo of decent max power while still retaining respectable low rpm power.

well i bought the impala ss alternator for $94 with a $20 core charge and lifetime warranty. the thing is a monster. hopefully it will fit in the stock location of my Monte Carlo SS

Back