You can type here any text you want

Am I on the right track?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
So I melted #6 piston all to hell. I had post on here a while ago. Here's the thread. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/264384-uh-oh-s-not-good-any-ideas.html The car has 100,000 miles on it and until the recent problem it seemed 100%. At this point I'm still not sure what caused the one piston and spark plug to melt. The others all are fine, the plugs were black, I wasn't lean on the 02's. However I was fighting KR readings in 3rd gear. I'm wondering if false knock could've played a part? At this point I haven't had the injectors checked to see if #6 injector failed? Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated. Now for the motor. I've been told to pull the piston and check the rod bearing? I was thinking of plastic guaging it? Should I guage the other rod bearings and the mains as well? Then if they are ok would I be nuts to just replace the piston? What maybe complicates things it that I was thinking of doing some upgrades now. I need to change the timing chain & gears (still stock), and I was thinking of a new turbo. I'm think it is the PTE GT6157 BB, I've read it will work with the stock converter. Then a stretched ic, and a bigger maf and translator. Last but not least doing something with the heads. Maybe champion irons? Or is port and pollish the stockers fine? Could this all work, and maybe put a girdle in it? I think I'm all over the board and would like some direction... Also if I do decide to pull the motor and replace all of the bearings etc. do I need to worry about who I get to do the machining? What I mean is I think I've read posts about that before - like these engines are maybe different than the average 350 rebuild? As far as goals go, I'd like it to be capable of running low 11's?

Find out why the plug melted. After 100,000 miles, the entire lower end deserves a full analysis and upgrading if you are going for the 11's and want it to stay together. The costs of the cleanup and status of the components may dictate the amount of funds leftover for your additions.

That's good advise. I just needed a push... What I'm worried about is where to stop? Meaning should I change the crank, rods? Posts show that stock rods can go into the 10's, but maybe not forever, and I don't want to put a window in the block. I'm not shooting for 10's right now, but you know how that goes - that'l likely change. I guess it's like building a house - better start with a good foundation. Then like you say azbob if the budget allows do the rest.

Back