You can type here any text you want

An Idiot paints his bumper fillers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dylan4570

Thought I would document the trials and tribulations of painting my bumper fillers. I used to paint antique tractors and gas pumps in my early teens. haven't used a cup gun since then. although we got good results and all we used was a 25 gallon compressor and did it outside in the backyard. I'm doing this because the original bumper filler cracked, then exploded/shattered and flew off into a ditch somewhere.

I got an HVLP kit from Summit and a bunch of Summit paint. The trial runs had horrendous fisheyes because I was dropping the pressure from 120 to 20 at the regulator on the gun, No regulator or filtering. What a crap show.

1724677337472.png

So after this, and probably giving myself skin cancer taking all this wrinkle finished paint off with acetone. I installed one of Amazon's finest dual 5 micron filter, water separator, and regulator combo. Right at the compressor. This solved my problem, but there were still issues. It turns out that the oil, water-vapor, mist had set up residence within the HVLP gun. this meant that even though I had eliminated the issue. The residual moisture in the gun would still leave me bewildered, and confused.

I discovered the residual moisture after my issues persisted when I put a coat of primer on. There were still terrible fisheyes. so I tore the entire gun down and cleaned it out. I also ran 2 tanks of air through the hose to dry it out. I then spent 4 hours with 400 grit sanding the fisheyes out of the primer.

1724678400509.png
1724678412973.png
1724679220704.png

The next day I painted. using single-stage gloss black from Summit. I did 4 coats. I have a husky, and one of his hairs made it into the paint. and I have some minor solvent pop. I believe the solvent pop was caused by insufficient time between coats. I did 10 minutes as the can said. but 15 might be better. I should have quit at 3 coats. it was great then. but I had enough paint mixed to do 4 coats so I did it. oh well. More paint for when I wet sand. I'm not going to go nuts wet sanding, I only want to take out the piece of hair and maybe the solvent pops. if they are too severe and go too deep to sand out. then I have enough paint to put another coat on.
I didn't bother with clear coating and what came off the car was not clear coated.

1724678782779.png
1724678798524.png

From 6 feet away it looks perfect. Which is better than I can say for the rest of the car. This car is a driver. I have to keep reminding myself of that whenever I work on it. Half the front body panels seem to be off a white regal anyway. so it is what it is. My goal with this car is to do everything to the best I can as I do it. By the time I "finish" working on it. it will probably be time to go back through everything and hopefully do it better than my first time.

I only did the front fillers this time. I also POR-15'd the inner bumper support, and blasted, primed, and painted the headlight buckets on the passenger side. The driver's side looks good. I am also converting to H4 bulb sockets with LEDs

Sounds much like my misadventures on a Jeep hood many years ago.

Should've stopped while I was ahead.

Back