You can type here any text you want

An Ironic First Kill

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

grandwazoo

Had my first kill last night, and damn it felt good. It was everything a first time should be.

I have had my 87 GN for about 3 months now, and was able to license it for the first time last week. The car was (kinda still is) a basket case when I got it, and have spent the last 3 months getting it to pass safety/emmissions test. Had it out last night with no particular place to go, whe around 2am a beuatiful 76 Corvette appeared in my rear view mirror, marroon with T-Tops, shining like a diamond.

He pulled up next to me and said, "That's awesome." referring to my car (and I must admit my GN looks great, new black paint, straight body - the engine still needs TLC but she's beautiful). I told him his Vette was beautiful, and we proceeded to attempt a conversation while driving, eventually this frustrated me, so I told him to pull over, we did, talked and such and all the while he kept saying things like, "are they really as fast as they say?" So I knew what was coming.

We got back in our cars and rolled down South Broadway, at about a 25 mile and hour roll we lined up. He gunned it and started to pull on me, I floored it, and my poor basket case sputterred and coughed (OH SH*T), I let off the gas, and floored it again. The engine roared, I shot past him at a strong steady gain, and within seconds I was 1.5 car lengths ahead of him.

We stoped head to head at the next light. He said "WOW!!! It's hard to beleive that is a 6.-- When that Turbo kicked in, you could see it, you just walked right past me!!!"

The irony to this story is that about 6 months ago, I was searching for a basket case Corvette, 69 - 79, something I could restore, and have as my toy. I am a freelance computer programmer, and one of my clients could not afford to pay me (Bush economy is rough on everyone) but he said he had a Grand National he would give me to call it even. I jumped at the chance, but imagined I would fix up the GN and sell or trade it to get a Corvette just like the one I smoked last night. If my GN running as poorly as it is right now made such easy work of this car with as much work as he had done to it, I can't wait to feel it when it is in its prime performance.

Hey you got lucky, I always seem to run into the stuck up Corvette guys. I swear some of them have their noses so far in the air, if it rains they'll drownd.

Originally posted by Pronto
Hey you got lucky, I always seem to run into the stuck up Corvette guys. I swear some of them have their noses so far in the air, if it rains they'll drownd.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Corvette guys seem to come in two flavors:

1. The mid-life crisis a-hole bunch who own a vette because they can afford to, and like to throw it in everyone's face.

2. The guys like this who dreamed of a corvette when they were a kid and love vettes because of what they are and not because of how miuch they cost.

Seems like this guy bought one that needed love and put the time/money in himself. And I'll tell you that car is a thing of beauty.

Best of all, he knew about GN's and it almost seemed he was happy to be beat, he respected the reputation of the GN enough that he appreciated the car even when it was 1.5 lengths ahead of him.

Back