Another amp install thread

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I've learned alot just from reading threads. Never knew about seperating 12volt and rca's. When I was in high school we just threw them in the car and that was it;) Never planned on putting anything in but Ineedagn was kind enough to give me a few amps. I'm looking for a location in the firewall where I can run the power wire, preferrably on the passenger side. I've read that there is an existing hole or grommet you can run it through. WHich one is it and where?

another question, is it ok to have the 12v fuse in the trunk instead of near the battery?
It's fine if you don't like your car that much, and want it burnt to the ground at some point. Lol no not a good idea, within 12" off the battery is good too many things could happen to that wire from the batt. To the trunk...Mike

shit back in the day we didnt even run a fuse on the hot wire lol, not to mention running it through the door jam

Kinda like back in the day when we didn't believe in wiring adapters and we just cut/discarded the factory harness plugs. We also didnt believe in butt connectors, we just twisted and taped. Wire strippers? For pussies! We used our teeth. After the third or fourth radio swap the factory wiers were short enough that you 'bout had to kiss the dash to strip the harness with your teeth lol. good times...

Glad to see you use those cheap amps. I just bought 2 more amps this week. I can think of 8 (quality) amps that i own and theres 2 more that i can't remember if i still have them or gave them away as well. I have 7 aftermarket head units and more misc. processors, door speakers, remotes, fuses, etc than you can shake a stick at. Theres a box of wiring here I've pulled from trade ins that's full to bursting. Hope you didnt actually buy any wire jesse....

As much as I wanted to run an amp to those 6x9s I didn't. Got pissed because I couldn't get the power wire snaked through the firewall. I'm not a fan of drilling holes.

That amp is small enough to run off a 10 gauge wire. Not like you had to poke a 4 Ga. through it. I dont remember where it was ran in my car, it had a 4 ga. ran through it when I bought it and I pulled it all out.

Bringing this back. Does anyone have a picture or details of this so-called grommet where the ecm cables run through? I am trying to run an 8ga power wire through the firewall on the passenger side but i dont find anywhere to pass it through. All my a/c stuff is there. I looked under and i even removed the front passenger wheel to see if can see it. If its too hard to do, i guess i will be running under the car around the frame. If anyone did that, where did you come into the trunk area? did you have to drill a hole? Is there a grommet somewhere? Thanks

Fairly certain that grommet would be a massive pain in the ass to get to with the car assembled.

There is no grommet that I know of and I have searched. I had a fairly extensive system in my previous GN and I ran 0 guage to the back. Yes I had to drill a hole on the passenger side almost near the floor iirc.
Make sure to use a grommet of some sort. Also watch placement of the wire around the downpipe, etc. Use wireloom to help protect wire.

You can also run wire down the outside frame and come up under the car and drill a hole right at the rear seat / trunk area.

I ended up running it down the passenger side down to the frame rail and all the way to the rear seat area. I had my wife tap in the area i needed it to come through and found that it was a good spot to drill. Drilled it and ran the wire through. I made the hole just big enough for the wire to pass but snug enough to fill in the hole using the wire. I then put some rtv around the wire on both sides(on the underside and in the interior). I secured the wire so that it wouldn't move at all so that the wire did not rub on the metal while the car was in motion. It took me a little longer but it came out good.