You can type here any text you want

another cam break in question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WS6

Sock Monkey racing
So before I install this new hydraulic flat tappet cam (comp brand), they suggest Nitriding and/ or removing the inner damper spring to properly break it in.

My questions are these;
Does everyone run just the outer spring for break in? and does anyone get this nitriding done?

This engine has had the LT1 spring upgrade,probably when the cam was changed 5000 -8000 miles ago. But it wiped the #4 exhaust lobe and was starting to wipe 2 other lobes.

Can I just follow the break-in procedure for new cam and lifters or do I need to take the damper springs out too?

What about nitriding? Where can I get that done and what does something like that cost?

Thanks

You will probably get alot of different opinions.Mine is the springs should be ok for break in.I think they are more refering to a solid lifter cam because they usually have double valve springs.Nitriding probably wouldnt be a bad idea,i think crane cams can do it.The reason they recommend it is because the oils now adays dont have enough zinc in them.You could do without it and use some break in consentrate in the oil to break it in and then run some valvoline (i think its VR1)racing oil.Its suppost to have enough zinc in it.Also brad penn has a break in oil that should have plenty of zinc in it.I broke mine in with crane break in lube and some older SL rated oil.I have about 1,500 miles on it and it seems ok.

IMO, I would only do any changes to the springs if your seat pressures are very high. On these engines, you shouldn't have a high enough pressure to warrant a lighter spring on break in. As Challengermike said, the problem is the lack of zinc in the oil these days. Comp Cams recommends their part # 159 break in lube for all of their flat tappet camshafts. Last time I spoke to Comp, they said they have had great success with the break in lube and camshaft life. Crane Cams also markets a similar break in additive. Their part number is 99003-1.
I don't have any expeirience with nitriding camshafts to be of any help on that question. Sorry...

Good advice! I'll make a couple calls to investigate the nitriding and see what is what.

I was thinking that the inner spring removal seemed drastic considering it's a flat steel damper spring.

Thanks again!

Back