You can type here any text you want

Another end play question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larrym

West Coast Newfy
So I got my motor all back together and installed, runs great good oil pressure.

I have a pressurized leak near the oil pump, I have had the front cover off 3 times and the pump apart twice.

I'm beginning to suspect a crack in the front cover could be the culprit, if I replace the cover is there any way to check the endplay for the cam without pulling the intake or motor?

Are you talking about the movement of the camshaft toward the timing cover versus movement toward the back of the engine block?

Both I guess I was looking for a way to measure with a new front cover, I installed a roller cam fired it up and have been chasing an oil leak. I suspect the cover is cracked and if I replace it I want to ensure the end play is correct, I guess I could measure both covers to see if they are the same prior to installation.

I have never tried it, but you should be able to bolt up the new cover and check the end play through the cam position sensor hole. I don't think you can rig up a dial indicator to check it, but you could feel the play with the old cover and then check it with the new cover and see if it feels the same. The way I used to set up the old odd fire cam endplay adjusting bolt is put some clay on the cover, bolt it up, and then take it off and check the thickness of the clay with a dial caliper.

Both I guess I was looking for a way to measure with a new front cover, I installed a roller cam fired it up and have been chasing an oil leak. I suspect the cover is cracked and if I replace it I want to ensure the end play is correct, I guess I could measure both covers to see if they are the same prior to installation.

I assume you are running the non-spring loaded button?
Unless you have access to a CMM, you will never get close to comparing the two covers for this pupose.

Shove the cam all the way back, add a piece of plastigage to the button, install cover, remove and measure.

Please take a look at this thread and let the vendors know if you agree:
ifhttp://www.turbobuick.com/forums/new-product-request/275265-roller-cam-end-play-front-cover-modification.html?daysprune=-1

Mike

Please take a look at this thread and let the vendors know if you agree:
ifhttp://www.turbobuick.com/forums/new-product-request/275265-roller-cam-end-play-front-cover-modification.html?daysprune=-1

Mike

Yes a modified cover would be nice!

I assume you are running the non-spring loaded button?
Unless you have access to a CMM, you will never get close to comparing the two covers for this pupose.

Shove the cam all the way back, add a piece of plastigage to the button, install cover, remove and measure.

Yes a shimmed button, I'll give this a try and see where it leads the plastigauge while adhere enough with some pressure prior to test fitting the cover. I know it can be a challenge to clean off of parts when using it.

Yes a shimmed button, I'll give this a try and see where it leads the plastigauge while adhere enough with some pressure prior to test fitting the cover. I know it can be a challenge to clean off of parts when using it.
It sure beats tha alternative(s). LOL
Let us know how it works.

Back