another freaking catastrophe, truely fed up. Read, if you will

disco stu

To set the tone here, I built my engine last march. Which was to remedy the problems I had with the previous build, which were warped decks (told it was decked), and crosshatch rubbed completely clean in a one inch spot in every hole in the same spot on the outside of the bores (was told they used a torque plate).
Got the engine back together and the turbo took a dump. took two months to get the one I ordered. Time and money are in very short supply. Put the turbo on.
I took on work in Austin. Moving sucks, but I love it here. But the week before I move, the tranny takes a dump. The timing. WTF else can go wrong? I won't even talk about the move..... I'll keep it all Buick. So I leave a tranny to get built. And I left the car in town too. I go back two weeks later to stab it. I was very happy with the tranny. So I drive 500 miles to Austin, no problems or so I thought. I heard a part throttle rap. HMMMM, too fast to be a rod, maybe my friend forgot to tighten up all the flexplate bolts. Nope, they're tight. But I noticed when I was turning the crank, the damn snout bolt was loose! JC, my heart sank. I tightened the bolt, but the noise was still there. I drained the oil, and checked the magnet. The usual pasty like buildup i guess. Oil pressure is normal. But I am pretty sure the motor is hurt. For as much time and money I put in the thing it sure is a POS. And I like to think I halfway know what I am doing. And yes, the damn bolt was torqued . I recently went to ME-R, and the car feels like a badass. like never before. Doesn't matter now.

I truely feel I have reached the point I just want to say screw it and give in.
:mad:

I truely feel I have reached the point I just want to say screw it and give in.

I know that feeling! :( Hope everything works out for you man. Nothing worse than dumping all your money into something, and not getting good results.

Stu,

Many of us can relate to how you're feeling right now, from similar scenarios that were really trying of our "last (automotive) nerve".
There are even several current threads very similar to yours right now.

Being away from your former home-base & known resources probably magnifies the situation, also.

Let the TR (and yourself) rest for now, and re-group for a while.

Things will get better!

Sorry to hear about all the problems---there sure seems to be an unusually high number of these threads lately

My 18k mile GN is currently without a motor---so i feel some of your pain.

Geoff

I feel ya bro. Lets take yours and mine, set a brick on the gas pedal and aim 'em for each others. Let 'em smash into each other at say, 100 mph? That will teach them.

Thanks for the support guys. I know these threads are discouraging, but like Two Lane said, I have am in a new place where I do not know many people, moving is really expensive, and I am not sure what my new landlords think about building an engine in the garage. It states a violation in the lease, but all my previously have as well. No auto repairs.

And I have sold my cherrypicker and stand, and no bro's I can borrow one from. Don't know what to say, but this blows.
I'll post what I find.:( If it is bad enough I might be giving turbosam6 a call.:eek:

I feel you man!

I'm going though something similar with my buick now it's been apart mostly all year I havn't got any track time slips, I've been to numerous buick events including bowling green and the latest bristol flop and I feel abandoned without my car. I just want to make one pass on it all year it that too much to ask. Sometimes I think I hate the car more than anything but then I look at it and I just want to get it right and have some fun I know it will be worth it when I'm spanking some ford or import rear. But for the time being the engine is still at the shop and hopefully I'll be riding soon. Keep you head up man it will get better.:)

Well it looks like I am gonna prepare to pull the engine AGAIN. I would do a bearing inspection/replacement in the car but I have a girdle on it. It is blowing by pretty good anyway. So While I am going back through the thing again, I think I will give some Total Seals a try. When I was building this thing last winter they did not make a 1/16 set for the JE's, but they said they could make a set. I think I read on here somewhere that someone was running JE's with Total Seals.

So anyway, I think I might as well just get it over with, I think I am just gonna be bummed till I get her running good again.

If anyone in Austin is reading this that has a cherrypicker they would be willing to rent me I would really appreciate it.

Originally posted by KillrV6
maby our TR's have reached their expiration date:rolleyes:

That's what I'm thinking. The first 2 years I had my car were great - no problems at all. The last 2 have been hell. My story reads like Disco Stu's almost to the letter - except my trans failed first. That trans failure was the first of many frustrating and expensive events with this car. I'm not sure what happened, but some delicate balance was disturbed and now the f'n thing will never be right again. It pulls hard - scary hard - but I have a nasty vibe that I can't cure and I'm afraid it's going to lead to another catastrophic failure. I can't relax driving the car anymore because I constantly have my ears perked up for any new noise, any subtle knocking. Not to mention the vibration rattling the t-top handles, glovebox door, and anything else that's not bolted down.

But, the reactions I get from people is worth the trouble. Seems like every year people become more and more interested in it. I guess 'cause it's getting older now. Fewer people are mistaking it for a Monte SS, probably because no one knows what they are anymore either. I was cruising yesterday and popped the turbo off at a new Viper getting gas (I'm so childish sometimes, but I can't help it). There were about 10 people standing around looking at it. Everyone had to pause and watch the GN go by.

Hang in there Stu. I think if you just take a deep breath and step back for a moment you'll find that it's worth keeping the car - even if you have to forget about it for a while. If I were anywhere near you I'd give you my engine stand and cherry picker - they're just collecting dust as the things that get rammed when you've pulled the car far enough into the garage.

Jim

Originally posted by disco stu
HMMMM, too fast to be a rod, maybe my friend forgot to tighten up all the flexplate bolts. Nope, they're tight.

Hey Stu,

I wondered where those extra bolts were supposed to go!
:eek:
P.S. I have a cherry picker and stand if you want to do some trading ;)
Let me know if you need anything, still got some cranks and rods laying around.

Its a shame GM doesnt make a crate motor for us . My tranny just went out recently , im hoping the motor holds up or i may be tempted to go with a big block crate motor with a turbo next . At this point whats another couple grand on a LARGE car parts debit. :rolleyes: Hope every thing works out for you .

Thanks guys. Hey Justin, can you believe this? I mean :mad: .
So about that chery picker and stand, ya feel like making a delivery to Austin next weekend? :p

If GM made a crate motor I would be on a first name basis in a bad way with their warranty clerk. I think they know better with these engines.

Sounded like a rod bearing but it was too fast. Hmmm, maybe piston slap.

Nope. got into the engine, and found a LOT of metal. It is from a spun MAIN bearing. I need someone to kick in the nuts right now. If I have to fined a new block and crank I am gonna be livid. gonna go calm down now

Originally posted by disco stu
Sounded like a rod bearing but it was too fast. Hmmm, maybe piston slap.

Nope. got into the engine, and found a LOT of metal. It is from a spun MAIN bearing. I need someone to kick in the nuts right now. If I have to fined a new block and crank I am gonna be livid. gonna go calm down now

Hey Stu, If it makes you feel better, Colby just spent $900 getting a rear end put in his truck. Three days later it started knocking. Pulled the pan and it is sitting in my driveway with spun main and crack in the crank. Looks like it has been spinning for a while, on one side of the journal where the crack is you can't see the rolled filets on the journal anymore.:eek: :eek: :eek:

CAN YOU VIDEO TAPE IT PLEASE I SURE LIKE TO SEE THAT?

Originally posted by turbosam6
I feel ya bro. Lets take yours and mine, set a brick on the gas pedal and aim 'em for each others. Let 'em smash into each other at say, 100 mph? That will teach them.
:D

Damn Justin that sucks. Just what kind of $900 dollar rear did he buy?

Anyway, this just sucks.

Originally posted by turbosam6

hey, no fair, i want in too, we will do the same thing, but have my car meet at a 'T'