You can type here any text you want

Another Headgasket question.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotaone

After hearing that the silicone used on the steel shim headgaskets kits can plug the small water passages in the gaskets, I got worried because I had just installed a set of the steel shims on my car last fall.So while the engine and tranny are out of the car I figured that I might as well pull the heads and take a look. When I pulled the heads off today SURE ENOUGH, there was silicone plugging two of the holes completely shut and the other two only had a pin hole of light shining through them. Needless to say I'm no longer a big fan of the steel shim headgaskets,which by the way I had installed exactly as the instructions stated. My question now is which brand of the factory style headgaskets are you guys using? I've always liked Felpro products and was thinking of going with their headgaskets. Let me hear some opinions please?

Thanks
James

Done it before twice and as long as the deck is completely flat use the stock hg's they work well.

Fepro PT9441's and a great prep to surfaces and bolt holes. I use locktite 567 on the threads and lube on the washers.

Also check for intake manifold flatness as it relates to the heads. In other words make sure the intake isnt pulling up on the heads.

Install HG's, put heads on.. tq the outer bolts a few lbs to hold the heads in place. install the intake without gasket and snug it up to the heads. Torque the head bolts on. Remove intake and install it with gasket. This assures the heads will be square on the block.

Get your injectors cleaned and flowed after an HG pop.. make sure theyre working like they're supposed too. :rolleyes: .. just think when was the last time :confused:

Call it cheap insurance.

Back