You can type here any text you want

Any benefit of an electric dump on a mostly stock TTA ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

transampacecar

My TTA is mostly stock with the following mods

RJC powerplate
30 lb injectors
Turbotweak chip
running 100 unleaded.

The only other mod will Razors Alky in the spring.

The rest is stock including the airbox, exhaust, etc and want to keep it looking as stock as possible.

The questions are
1. by using a dump in the exhaust, will there be any noticeable performance gain ?
2. is it worth gutting the Cat ?

transampacecar said:
My TTA is mostly stock with the following mods

RJC powerplate
30 lb injectors
Turbotweak chip
running 100 unleaded.

The only other mod will Razors Alky in the spring.

The rest is stock including the airbox, exhaust, etc and want to keep it looking as stock as possible.

The questions are
1. by using a dump in the exhaust, will there be any noticeable performance gain ?
2. is it worth gutting the Cat ?

I'd put that money in a new, upgraded fuel pump before a dump :)

Gutting the CAT (for off road purposes, of course) would be something to consider.

Alchy is the way to go.

Get a Scanmaster 1st, then continue modding.

1.) Yes

2.) If you put the dump before the cat, no real reason to gut the cat.
Plus cat pipes are cheap > $60

Sorry, fogot to add that I do have a scanmaster and a Walpro pump and hotwire kit.

Any recommendations on a brand of dump pipe and whether to use an electric or manual one ?

also, when open how loud is it, can it be used on the street ?

Have had electric cut out for 2 years know>

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOVE THE SOUND , IS A LITTLE LOUD ONLY WHEN YOU GET ON IT.
I call it my FUN BOTTON!!!!!!

DMH makes the one that I have LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS JD :D :D :D :D

I wouldn't waste my money on an electric cutout. I mean yeah they're nice for a little while but I have heard a couple people complain about the motors wearing out fast. I have a manual one on my car that I paid like a whole $20 I think for. all you have to do is climb under the car and turn 3 wing nuts, but you save over $200. My stock TTA with just drag radials and the dump ran 13.15@100mph on stock boost. YOu can definatley tell the difference with the cutout open and I think I normally run about 1-2 psi higher with the cutout open versus it being closed.

def goin to run better opened ... boost will climb to :biggrin: some tracks do not allow electric dumps ...New England Dragway is one .. :eek:

Thanks for all the replies.
Queston for 72 Firebird, do you have to jack the car up to get to the wing nuts ?

Also, what size dump 3 inch or 2 1/2 ?

New England Dragway is one ..
Oh, that's good to know.
Jacking up a TTA would definately make it easier to do ;)

transampacecar said:
Thanks for all the replies.
Queston for 72 Firebird, do you have to jack the car up to get to the wing nuts ?

no I just lay on the ground and reach my arm under. It's just right in arms reach so I don't really have to get underneath it. Of course I'm young, skinny, and agile, I dunno about some of you older guys :biggrin: . Really it's not bad as long as you don't have really short arms, I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

Now, now, respect your elders :biggrin:

72firebird said:
Of course I'm young, skinny, and agile, I dunno about some of you older guys :biggrin: . Really it's not bad as long as you don't have really short arms, I'll try to get a picture of it soon.

nah "plump" people can reach in to :eek: ... I did it for a few years till I got to lazy and just ran threw the stock exhaust :p

Grumpy said:
nah "plump" people can reach in to :eek: ... I did it for a few years till I got to lazy and just ran threw the stock exhaust :p
yeah as long as you don't have abnormally short arms it can be done with ease.

I did the "get under the car thing" till it rained one day and the dump was open... after that I installed a DMH and never looked back. Yes there is a performance increase if you have a stock/restrictive exhuast. Car will pickup approx 3-4 PSI boost when you open it.. so make sure octane is in the fuel or you can hurt stuff.

One of the first items I bought for this TTA was the dump. If you buy the cheap ones... you'll have issues. Guaranteed. You will get what you pay for.

It allows for quiet exhuast while driving around town without the drone... and loud exhuast when racing it.. I love it on the highway..

ET diff is approx .3-.4

HTH

Well first you need to have the flange. So either buy a test pipe with cutout, or buy the pipe with the plate on it. With the pipe comes the size. On the aftermarket downpipes it would be 3 inch. I believe the OEM DP is 2.75 but on this I could be wrong. Not that you cant have a test pipe with a 3 inch cutout.. but this is the first barrier to cross.

Look at Johns Performance see if he carries the test pipes w/cutout. Maybe Full Throttle. You'll need to dig. It is the same for the GN and TTA. As the cat is the same.

transampacecar said:
Razor
If I buy the DMH electric cutout. Do I still need a test pipe or is the DMH all that I need.
http://www.dmhperformance.com./ecutout.htm

You need a flange to attach that too. The Flowtech piece is a curout that is universal. Easy is a test pipe WITH cutout made for a Buick application so it bolts to the factory cat back.. Then the DMH bolts to that. Contact Buick vendors to see who carries a test pipe now.

Grumpy.. I love cheaps.. hook me up with a 200 dollar exhuast :eek: .

I have a 3 inch POS walker cat back pipe and a SS Dynomax muffler.. i'm .3-.4 tenths faster with the cutout open.

Guess I need an ATR exhuast, and a 5 dollar set of earmuffs for the drone at 70 MPH. :biggrin:

Somewhere somebody posted a link to a cutout that opened with boost. You could put a mb regulator on it so it would open after a certain level of boost. That might be cool.
Probably wouldn't be ok at NED as well though.

Back