You can type here any text you want

Any one running TA49 + 3000 stall?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bogie1

Any one running TA49 + 3000 stall? I read a post that said it was not a good combo--I have one on order but I still have time to change the stall.

a 49 isnt much larger than the stocker with a 3000 stall you'll burn the tires at will and give up some top end. If you are already committed to the turbo and converter i'd recommend a larger housing .82-.85 with a 3000 3200 stall. that way you could still use the turbo and it'll give you a little more top end pull with the larger housing.

No but I ran a P.I. 3200 non lock up with a stock turbo.

It was a fun car!:D

Thanks for the replys

Since my TA49 was supposed to come with a .82 and it came with a .62 housing in error (turbo is still in box with packing, never used). I guess I could have the housings swapped by the vender. I am almost thinking of a bigger turbo now that I have ordered a PTS st/strp trans and 9X11 billet lockup converter.Looks like everyone gets the GOFASTS and moves up in gear.
Anybody have any suggestions for a turbo other than a TA49 that will be a noticable increase in power but not bring me to the level of breaking things? I am looking for high/mid 11's that I can use on the street.

I have a stock motor/heads/cam/intake/tb.
Reds FP-h/w'd-Scanmaster2.1/ RJC PP/Razor's ALKY/50# Delphi's/Translater+/extender/3" SS MAF-BFG street radials-265/50/15--PTS St/Strp trans on order with(3000 LU) 9X11 billet converter and PTE fmic on the UPS truck.

Last Sunday was tunning all the new gear I just put on at Piedmont Dragway and ran a best of 8.24 in the 1/8th @ 21# boost. I had to let off near the end of the run because I dialed in to much timming(29*) and had my ALKY set too low. The car felt awesome to me (used to slow cars :D.). That was with the 50#'s and stock turbo and Intercooler. I saw "Look quick" run a 7.8 in his 87 GN the same day. he was running a TA49 with a restalled D5 and the car looked real nice.

I have that exact combo, Ta49 and Vig3000 L/U. Really fun car on the street and it will keep up with the big blocks that gun it while doing 30mph on you. It will fry the tires but thats why you should get the new M/T or M&H tires.

I would not even bother with a .82 housing on this turbo. I would keep putting bigger wheels in the .63 until you can not fit a bigger wheel ( around a PT71 or the Q option ). The wheels make more power than the housing and they will spool much better IMO.

Tks DR.B
Have you had the chance to take your combo to the track yet?
Was wondering what kind of times to expect if I stay with the TA49 and .63 housing.
60ft?
1/8 or 1/4 mile?

What did ya end up paying for that 3,000 l/u? I'm looking to get a 3200 l/u sometime in the future. I fear a stock convertor and a TE-63-1 may be a slow spooler.:(

Originally posted by bogie1
Tks DR.B
Have you had the chance to take your combo to the track yet?
Was wondering what kind of times to expect if I stay with the TA49 and .63 housing.
60ft?
1/8 or 1/4 mile?
Bogie1, My 87 turbo t has stock long block with valve springs, big neck stock int, ta49 with blue tops, thd, blah. On slicks in 85* weather, the car ran 7.64 at 91mph with 22psi , 5psi launch, 1.73 60'. Red stripe 2800. I have 3 exhaust housings for this turbo- stocker, pte .63, pte .85. the first two mentioned work fine. The 85 is very "laggy" with my combo.

I have a 3200 9/11 with a 44, and its a fun car. Traps 110 in street trim on only 15 psi with out locking the convertor. I like the higher stall because it will let me upgrade later if i choose to

No times yet, but it can fry my 295/50's with a hammer down from 35 to 40 mph! The converter and MBC are a big part of that.

I found the Vig on www.gnttype.org from a military guy in Hawaii for $350 shipped. Total find, I just happened to catch the add just as he put it up. Converter and MBC were the best parts to help spool up and make driving fun again.

I would not restall the stocker, it loses efficiency and does not have the K factor the Vig, PTS and Art Carr converters have. Even the same stall between the reworked and aftermarket feel differently due to those reasons. Go at least 3000k with an aftermarket and you will be all smiles.

OneLethal87GN, I ordered mine during the January 10% off sale from PTS. IT is the 9X11 billet and they list for $799.00

Tyrod, 7.64 in the 1/8 sounds like an 11 sec 1/4 mile to me. That is what I am looking for. I think I will give the 3000 stall a shot.

JDSfastGN, I guess I will have to experiment and find the best launch and street tire combo. I was afraid I would be coming off the line like a 5.0 Stang and just smoking up a weeks pay every time I got into boost.

hello,
I am in no way trying to hyjack your thread, but it has really caught my attention since this is gonna pretty much be my set up.
Turbo-Garrett T3/T04E (60/.82) (#466159-5008S)
T3/T04E - Non Ball Bearing Center Section, .82 A/R T3 Turbine Housing, 76 Trim Turbine (Stage III), .60 A/R T04E Compressor Housing, 60 Trim Compressor Wheel. 4 Bolt Discharge Flange
Ported Heads/Intakes-Flow 228 intake 194 exh
Edge 3000 stall-carbon fiber internals, with 97% eff. and somewhere between 2.5-2.6 Torque Output
3.42 rear gear ratio and posi in my 2000 camaro 3.8L. Some of you are saying that this setup will be very laggy. Are you refering to a stock engine setup? Do you think with my flow numbers that I will have a major lag issue?
Thanks,
Shane

I have a TA49 and a 3200 stall Vigilante converter. Needless to say my car will boil the tires. My best MPH has been 109 on pump gas and alky I think the car has always run a little rich. I'm also at 5000 feet elevation and was advised to go with a looser converter at this altitude.

Z

I run a 3k stall 9/11 and a TA49 with Precision .63 housing. The car runs far better than with the stock D5 converter. You will be happy.

frying them like a 5.0 is the fun part lol.. jk(still have to wait till 15 ft out with out powerbraking) with the drag radials at a constant 17.5 psi its not too bad, i can still trash most cars out of the whole even launching on vacuum

Sticking with TA49 + 3000 Stall

I called Limit ENG tonight about possibly upgrading to a TA61 with my new planned combo. (I have not yet installed the new TA49 I received from them yet). They recommended that with stock heads (non-ported, and stock plenum) that the TA49 would be the killer street set up (2800-3000 Stall). The TA61 would get the nod if I had the ported heads and intake. They said there would be too much back pressure with the stock heads to make it worth while going to the TA61 with my combo. I am taking their advise. I will post my times after I install all the new goodies. ( I have new valve spring and timing chain to install too).

986 Grand Nationnal 133,000 original owner -Stock Engine intact- ATR 3" DP-ATR 3" dual SS EX-3" CAT- 50# Delphi's- Impala SS MAF- Trans + - Extender chip-Stock Trans + D5 Red's FP + Hot wire-scanmaster 2.1- 160* therm0- Greedy Pro-Spec II-B boost control--Ready to install-PTS Extreme Street/Srtip TRans-9X11 Billet converter, Limit Eng TA49, PTE front Mount-GN in right now for complete Paint and body restore.--265-50-15 BFG radials
Best 1/8 mile ( original turbo, IC, + 50# Delphi's) 8.2 @ 86MPH 2.0 60' - RAZOR's alky kit 21# boost + 93 octane.

Guess my GT70 is a little too big then. ;)

I ran the Vig. 3000 with the stock turbo for about 6 months on the GN, it was fun. :)

Originally posted by snatchSS454
hello,
I am in no way trying to hyjack your thread, but it has really caught my attention since this is gonna pretty much be my set up.
Turbo-Garrett T3/T04E (60/.82) (#466159-5008S)
T3/T04E - Non Ball Bearing Center Section, .82 A/R T3 Turbine Housing, 76 Trim Turbine (Stage III), .60 A/R T04E Compressor Housing, 60 Trim Compressor Wheel. 4 Bolt Discharge Flange
Ported Heads/Intakes-Flow 228 intake 194 exh
Edge 3000 stall-carbon fiber internals, with 97% eff. and somewhere between 2.5-2.6 Torque Output
3.42 rear gear ratio and posi in my 2000 camaro 3.8L. Some of you are saying that this setup will be very laggy. Are you refering to a stock engine setup? Do you think with my flow numbers that I will have a major lag issue?
Thanks,
Shane
Shane, I think your combo will be more forgiving than mine with the larger housing . pte .85 inlet is 2.5" wide, the pte .63 inlet is 2.25", stocker inlet and p-header outlet is about 2 1/8". Im not familiar with garretts .82 . I think you can see why my 2800 isnt quite enough to drive around on. 5lb launch, no problems with any.

Bogie1,

I will have the same combo come this spring. With stock turbo and IC I have a best ET of 12.47@109. Bought a used precision TA49 with the small housing, a Neil Chance 3000 stall, and a bell mouthed stock IC. On paper it looks great, but I'm thinking traction and 60 foot times will be the big factor. I've been 1.78 for 60', if I can maintain that or do a little better it should be a lot of fun.

BTW, what injectors are you using? I'm using 009's. I'm hoping they'll keep up even with the dump open.

SpBob,
I am running Delphi 50# injectors. I just got my PTE fmic yesterday. Everyone says with the front mount ic's you have more lag so maybe with the 49 + 3000 verter I will be dialed in a little better. I think you should be ok with the 009's, At least I see a lot of other folks running them with 49's + no problem. Good luck!
Car has been in the beauty parlor 2 weeks now, maybe be done in 2 more. When she comes out I have a lot of wrench turning to do.
Gut cat, new turbo(TA49), ramcharger fans, PTE fmic, timing chain + new tc cover w/ hpop, valve springs, new PTS tranney + 9-11 converter. Wow! I hope I am done before racing season is over. hehe.

Best time with stock turbo, 50# + through Catayltic converter on BFG 265X50X15 street radials (8.2 in the 1/8 mile).

Back