You can type here any text you want

Any tricks to doing both valve cover gaskets?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sweet6

I am going to do valve cover gaskets on my TTA. Are there any things that I need to look out for?

Also, where is a good place/brand to get gaskets? I thought the ones to get would be for a FWD 3.8 Buick V6?

TIA

No tricks really, passanger side is a bit easier than the driver side to get off. driver side got the EGR solenoid bracket thing attached to the intake stud and the VC stud.

Felpro do the gaskets and most places (autozone, kragen etc) list the correct part number if you look on line on our 89 TTAs.

Make sure you clean off any grime on your VC's and heads before removing them to avoid dirt to get in there :-)

The drivers side is a biotch. There is a bolt under the coilpack that attaches the harness to it.. you need to remove that bolt. Also if you have stuff on the back of the alternator for hotwire or??? take it off. You need to lift the harness up.. move the valve cover back.. lift the front up.. and get it out.

Passenger side is like 2 minutes. Drivers side.. be patient.

Also get the new seals for under the washers. There are 6 of them. And be careful to not let the gasket pop out of the valve cover when installing it.

I would wrap two long wire ties around the VC.. set the cover down.. cut the wire tie and pull it out.

Lasty.. careful how you tighten down the cover.. if you install it crooked due to gasket or ??? you can crack the VC. So it has to lay down even.

Hope this helps.

Julio

Back