You can type here any text you want

Anyone have a converter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
A little tuning today,

21 PSI, 19 degree chip, 1458 EGT's, 820's for O2's.. 5 lb dead launch... heads work gentlemen, If I could get it to 10 PSI, I may have a winner..

Anyone have a 9 inch converter laying around :)

hehe

I'll post new times tommorrow.. i'll be turning the screws on it. I cant even get these drag radials to break traction :(

;)

96.93 in the 1/8.. hummm :D

Nice mph :) A nice 3200 stall will really make that thing come alive :D

And lean it up some. You'll probably gain a few mph with no other changes. I know mine gains about 3mph when running 810-820 down to 760-770. No KR of course ;)

Originally posted by Razor
Anyone have a 9 inch converter laying around :)

Yes, actually its laying on my garage floor right now.;)

Nice MPH. Especially on such a conservative tune.

Another crack with less fuel and a little more timing should wake her up a good bit more. I think you'll be breaking 100 in the 1/8th soon.
What RPM are you shifting it at? What kind of boost are you going to feel comfortable running with the new set up?

Good luck: Jason

Got worse

Looks like I own a Viper

Hows that for a full tank of 93 in 95 degree weather. Part of the class we were running today.

Same problemo, builds to 5 psi and the boost needle sticks there.. as soon as I leave, like 30-40 feet out it spools up and goes. Tires were at 25 PSI with no burnout, and still couldnt spin em. Actually my buddy said he kept hearing the tires screeching through the run.

Humm.. converter or nitrous.. decisions.. hehe

Hell of a lot of potential. Boost was at 23 PSI on that pass, My wastegate rod is bottommed out.. I need .. I need :D

I like the mid track pull.. absolutely fun.

That's the same problem I was having a while ago. Way too fat on the bottom to spool up. Wouldn't start pulling until the 60' mark. Check for an exhaust leak at the turbo. I lost a collector bolt from the header to turbo.

You haven't changed the turbo, so you should still be able to build boost as before. A converter would definitely help but you may have a little tuning problem to deal with.

Stick a launch and you'll be running 11.3-4 with that mph. Not too shabby :D

Had the same problem also. Too big a turbo on the stock D5. Got a little better with tuning(able to get 4 lbs). But as soon as i pulled my foot off the brake it was like I didnt do anything waited until it came up then ran like a mutha.

I'm with the other guys on the spool up issue. Built motors will snap a turbo up to boost better than non built motors. If you spooled it good before then she should be spooling hard now.

Jason

Yup.. thats the same feeling. The exhuast is tight, and I compounded the problem by changing the breathing. I use to spool to 12 PSI no problem on the stock cam and heads. maybe the 2 degrees advance I did on the cam spoiled the spool.

97.22 in the 1/8.. 100% bone stock IC with screen..

hey Rob, if I could pick up 30 on the top .. hehehe. I have a lead locally for a 9 inch lockup converter.. next week i'll see what I do. If the car could launch at 15 PSI like it use to, 11.10-11.20's should be no problem.

Originally posted by Razor
Yup.. thats the same feeling. The exhuast is tight, and I compounded the problem by changing the breathing. I use to spool to 12 PSI no problem on the stock cam and heads. maybe the 2 degrees advance I did on the cam spoiled the spool.

97.22 in the 1/8.. 100% bone stock IC with screen..

hey Rob, if I could pick up 30 on the top .. hehehe. I have a lead locally for a 9 inch lockup converter.. next week i'll see what I do. If the car could launch at 15 PSI like it use to, 11.10-11.20's should be no problem.
I have no problem spooling with that cam.

I did the 30 on top but I was only running 91 in 1/8 :eek:

You got it all over my car :cool:

Originally posted by postal
I'm with the other guys on the spool up issue. Built motors will snap a turbo up to boost better than non built motors. If you spooled it good before then she should be spooling hard now.

Jason

Jason it does, once it gets going. If not I wouldnt have the MPH I have. I'll run some top engine cleaner through the motor and check for exhuast leaks.

I didnt remove the turbo from the header when I did the heads and stuff. And it sounds quiet. One thing tho, its got an imfamous 51 turbo, and I suspect the exhuast blade tips are a little cooked. So this may also be of issue. The shaft is tight with no play.

When I had put a 54 on the car 4 months ago, it was the same thing. Would take like 40-50 feet for it to spool. So I have already experienced this. And adding cam moves the power band up on the motor...

I need to un-wind from this weekends activities. And i'm glad i got to drive it back home in one piece. If I had an AC 166930 converter, I would look elsewhere. Maybe bolt on the stock turbo and see how it does. Be the fastest stock turbo car in the country :D

Problem is that cam really doesn't move it up. Makes the mid range better. I do shift 100-150 rpm higher than stock though.

When I lost the bolt, I didn't know it. No abnormal sounds, no soot, nothing out of the ordinary except I couldn't spool. I just happened to look up when taking off the filter and it was goine. Even blew out my copper gasket when I took it off! New gasket and bolt, instant spool on the launch :)

Unless your chip is just dumping fuel in PE, I think it'll be something simple. Hopefully it won't take long to find out what it is. I want to see how fast 93 octane can go :)

Post by Jack Cotton:

Huge Torque Convertor Sale
I've been selling TC's for a long time and never had the opportunity to offer such a great deal. Just having got off the phone with Art Carr of Texas I am offering, for a limited time only, all 9.5 billett covered convertors. These units come with a 2 year warranttee as well as 1 free restall the first year!!

regularly - $749.00 now - $550 Billett - HD super lock\up TC

regularly - $749.00 now - $450 Billett - HD super non L\U TC

Also, we now have a non billett covered 9.5 unit available for the budget minded enthusiast, this unit basically would be the old style covers we used for years without any problems. They come with a 6 month warrantee and NO restall, pretty much the same warrantee as the 12" convertor most of the competition sells. This convertor is a non lock-up unit

now - $300.00

DON'T MISS THIS OPPORTUNTY, call now with your order or questions, feel free to ask for Jack. For custom applications we also offer multi-disc convertors for the guys that want to put the power to the convertor on that 9-10-11 second pass.........

I wonder if he still has that sale going on or not.

Jason

Originally posted by TTA 1387
Problem is that cam really doesn't move it up. Makes the mid range better. I do shift 100-150 rpm higher than stock though.

When I lost the bolt, I didn't know it. No abnormal sounds, no soot, nothing out of the ordinary except I couldn't spool. I just happened to look up when taking off the filter and it was goine. Even blew out my copper gasket when I took it off! New gasket and bolt, instant spool on the launch :)

Unless your chip is just dumping fuel in PE, I think it'll be something simple. Hopefully it won't take long to find out what it is. I want to see how fast 93 octane can go :)

Rob, I'll unbolt the turbo, and do a quick inspection on the gasket. Easy.

I have that NX kit just itchen to get it installed. I believe a low 11 high 10 is very very possible... next few weeks will be fun.

FWIW, I had same problem building boost on a nice and hot 97 degree day. Could only get 6 psi, same wastegate situation. When cooler temps rolled around. 10-12 psi of the foot & e-brake. Got a Boost commander by that time so didn't need to fool with the wastegate anymore.

Good luck.

I'll yank the WG hose and see if it then spools up. Good suggestion.

Rob, heads :D Something smells fishy :eek: , one part of me says yes, another dunno.

Back