You can type here any text you want

Anyone have info on 87 Rivera's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kenny

No turbo, no care.
Anyone have info on 87 Riviera's?

Thinking about buying one for a winter beater, as long as they're not prone to massive problems.

Thanks. :)

Not sure if the touch screen was standard or an option but they are hard to use and are prone to problems. :eek:

I had one.. Great car!

Mechanically, the only thing I can think of that may be problematic is the self-leveling system, which is usually a bad relay. Mine had 212k on it when I donated it. I donated it due to a random short that would cause the battery to drain. :(

Touch screen - that car has a 5" CRT in the dash that controls many of the car's functions. Radio, HVAC, gauges, trip computer, etc.. Yes, they can fail, but are available on Ebay from time to time.

Mine was a black/silver T-Type.. I miss that car. :(

Is the touch screen standard equipment?

They're 3800 motors, correct?

Solid trannys?

This one has a little over 100k miles, MINT interior, clean exterior (except someone backed into something and there is a dent in the rear bumper). Said he wants $1,200, but made it very clear he will go cheaper. Going to try to pick it up for $800.

Not a T, that I know of.

Originally posted by kenny
Is the touch screen standard equipment?

They're 3800 motors, correct?

Solid trannys?

This one has a little over 100k miles, MINT interior, clean exterior (except someone backed into something and there is a dent in the rear bumper). Said he wants $1,200, but made it very clear he will go cheaper. Going to try to pick it up for $800.

Not a T, that I know of.

Yes, the CRT is standard equipment. An 87 has the 3.8l, not the 3800.. (non-corporate block) I replaced the tranny ~195k, it was the factory unit I replaced. I hear they usually need servicing/replacement ~125k. If you can get it for $800.00, I would go for it.. Cheap transportation. :D

Originally posted by kenny
How solid is the normal 3.8?

Like I said above, it had 212k on it before an electrical gremlin made me get rid of it. With proper maintenance, they are bulletproof. I did have to replace a few freeze plugs when I had the tranny out, but other than that.. nada..

Back