You can type here any text you want

anyone here into boating?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GinoRin

Yes, I'm freaking crazy. Its the middle of winter here in WI, and all I can think about is summer. I'm going to buy a boat soon, and just started doing research. Where are the good places to look for used boats, and where to get values? I know about iboats and nada guides, but I cant find any good BB forums or anything. Can anyone help me out? Oh yea, and lets see those boats!

p.s. I'm looking for a 17-22' open bow skiboat/cruiser if anyone knows of anything. It must be at least 150hp :)

Oopps, never read your complete post and see you know about iboats.com
You also need to figure out if your going with aluminium or glass and if your going to keep it in the water or trailer it around.
I was more into fishing and loved my Lund Baron for an all around boat, and it would do 60mph on the water with a 200 Merc!

Yes, I'm freaking crazy. Its the middle of winter here in WI, and all I can think about is summer. I'm going to buy a boat soon, and just started doing research. Where are the good places to look for used boats, and where to get values? I know about iboats and nada guides, but I cant find any good BB forums or anything. Can anyone help me out? Oh yea, and lets see those boats!

p.s. I'm looking for a 17-22' open bow skiboat/cruiser if anyone knows of anything. It must be at least 150hp :)

Outboards are the most reliable and you get the most bang for the buck. Checkmate makes a nice bowrider that is EXTREMELY well built and reasonably priced. Your best bet is to buy now while the market is still in the gutter.

here is my current and 3rd Checkmate 27' Convincor with a blown 468. 77mph with 3 people and nearly a full tank of fuel.

Attachments

• DSC03089.JPG
    DSC03089.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 270
  • cmate.JPG
    cmate.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 292
I think you need to think more about what you want. I see you want a ski/pleasure boat. IMO there is no such thing. they don't really perform either very good. Yes, you can ski behind them but its not the same as a real ski boat. now if you want to pull a tube and ride around the hybrids are fine. and you do get more options for the money...but if want to do some skiing and or wakeboarding get a inboard...I bought my last 2 boats on boattrader.com

Boat?

Now why would anyone want a boat? 16 cylinders of Detroit muscle (twice)4,200 horsepower (no turbo's here :frown: ), goes forward, backward and sideways, seagulls, a nice breeze, shipmates all around. Easy on fuel...only 125 gallons per hour at full speed! Just another day at the office. :D

Attachments

• tracy2.jpg
    tracy2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 269
here is my current and 3rd Checkmate 27' Convincor with a blown 468. 77mph with 3 people and nearly a full tank of fuel.

Nice boat, Bill! I dig the whipple on there... and the fast box :) I am planning on buying something soon, looks like its going to be an i/o bowrider at least a V6 preferrably an 8. I am also entertaining the thought of a Moomba (can get one dirt cheap) but I dont know if its a practical cruiser, its more of a ski/board boat.

23 ft Baja.....454, captains call exhaust, open bow. Not quite the speed of Bill's, but it'll do about 66-67 mph gps. Found it on boattrader.com.

Attachments

• baja5.jpg
    baja5.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 229
  • baja4.jpg
    baja4.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 229
  • baja2.jpg
    baja2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 248
Boats !!!!!!!!!

GINO........
try these
(Scream and Fly is a great site)

Scream And Fly - The most comprehensive powerboat resource on the Internet.
Dragboats.com - Drag Boat Racing's Premiere Website!
BBC
WELCOME TO HOT BOAT
www.speedwake.com
Full Throttle Powerboats
Welcome to dragboatcity.com!

HAMMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY!

My son-in-law has a 26 or 27' Baja Outlaw (BBC - I/O) : FOR SALE,also.(I'm pretty sure it is over $10K. It's low hour excellent condition.Let me know if you might be interested in it.)
(My boat is not as roomy....But it is somewhat faster)(Pictures of mine are too large to upload (as is).If you'd like to see it, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.It's an Eliminator / Scorpion ; Picklefork Tunnel hull.

Attachments

• Boat Pics 034.jpg
    Boat Pics 034.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 219
  • Boat Pics 031.jpg
    Boat Pics 031.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 207
Boat Pic

GINO,
I got one pic downsized.

Attachments

• ALL FLASH PIX 1-19-08 560.jpg
    ALL FLASH PIX 1-19-08 560.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 201
Your in the best part of the world to find a good used boat. Anywhere in the upper midwest. Freash water and stored for 1/2 the year. I love boats, wish I didn't. You think the turbo car is expensive?

I've owned 14', 17', 21', 27', 31' and I now own a 37' 370AC Searay. Twin 7.4 EFI's with a 9hp genset. At a 10 mph cruise 7 gals per hour, at WOT 25 mph and 56 GPH:eek:

Attachments

• 370AC with T.jpg
    370AC with T.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 201
I think you need to think more about what you want. I see you want a ski/pleasure boat. IMO there is no such thing. they don't really perform either very good. Yes, you can ski behind them but its not the same as a real ski boat. now if you want to pull a tube and ride around the hybrids are fine. and you do get more options for the money...but if want to do some skiing and or wakeboarding get a inboard...I bought my last 2 boats on boattrader.com

above ^ is all excellent advice.

write down every way you plan to use your boat and put percentages to every use adding up to 100% to figure what style of boat will match your needs best

Typically you will learn what type of boater you are once you begin boating with your own boat , previously you have done what people that invited you out with them do with their boats.

plan on hitting the nail on the head with your second boat not your first ! make sure whatever you buy is a popular boat that will hold a good resale value so you get the majority of what you paid back in a few years when you are ready to buy a boat suited to your specific needs.

Maybe something between 18-20 feet with either a 4.3 efi or 5.0/5.7 efi , avoid new because the depriciation will kill you when you buy your next boat as most new boaters do pretty quickly - if you get into water sports you will end up wanting an inboard either direct drive if skiing is your thing or v-drive if wakeboarding, wakeskating ,wakesurfing, or sky skiing. If you spend more time cruising you will end up in an inboard outboard ( stern drive) fishing in lakes typically outboard but some use IO's

volvo penta ,mercruiser, Indmar ,Pcm all use gm engines and all are easily serviceable most anywhere

in this day and age stay away from carb boats they are difficult to resell as are underpowered boats.

Every boat I put under contract I write on the deal subject to water test and visual inspection - give yourself the opportunity to see & drive any boat before closing any deal even if it is 10 states away. You can also pay an independent boat surveyor to check out a boat on your behalf allthough a friend into boats and a good eye goes a long ways.

efi boats can be hooked up to a scan tool to verify engine hours ,past codes , how many hours in what rpm ranges ,etc.. anyone really looking to earn your business should be willing to let you spend 15 minutes scanning it with a tech - i do it all the time

I have been selling boats for 8 years and boating much longer

I typically have between 100-150 boats listed on boat trader and it is amazing how it has helped me sell boats literally all over the world

I started with an 18 foot sea ray with a 5.0 mercruiser got into wakeboarding and have owned a bunch of Malibu watersports boats since

Im rebuilding the 502s in the DONZI CROSSBOW this week. They want go back stock this time, im thinking about making 540s out of them its cheaper than putting blowers on them.

Attachments

• DSC01565.JPG
    DSC01565.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 191
Outboards are the most reliable and you get the most bang for the buck. Checkmate makes a nice bowrider that is EXTREMELY well built and reasonably priced. Your best bet is to buy now while the market is still in the gutter.

I'd still be out in the water if I had outboards. Stupid newbies like myself should be riding on jet boats, like Sea Doo and Yamaha. I've hit soooo many sand bars and logs and rocks boating in unknown waters. (sand bars move faster than I thought)

The Sea Doo jet boats will plane in .0001 sec and out handle everything on the water. I started with a twin engine 14' Sea Doo. Incredible fun.

Now have 24' Twin engine supercharged sea doo. Goes over 60MPH. (Never been out by myself with low fuel, but we've hit 66MPH) Very fast and comfy. 12 person capacity. (430HP twin superchargers, 2009 has 510HP I think)
When I finish boating I just park it infront of house. No winterizing, nothing! Closed loop cooling. Heat gets radiated by metal plates touching water. Neat design. No salt water enters engine compartment, except thru the I/Cs and exhaust.
The extra engine factor has saved me ten time. Had ski roap get sucked up by impellor when bro was driving, had a plastic bag from ice get sucked up one time, overheating old boat. Extra engine got us home. Maybe an expert Capt. feels safe with one engine, but not me. I'll take two or three of everything with me on long trips.

Runs in 2inches of water going 40-60MPH! (ask me how I know)
SeaDoo are made for rentals and can sit in the ocean for ten years. No wood or natural matreials on products.
My Sea Doo is 8'9" wide. That's 3" more than public roads are to support without aq wide load permit. SeaDoo has cheated and is giving us three illegal inches of width!
http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/sportboat/recreation/challenger230/

BRP Sea-Doo | 205 Utopia SE Luxury Performance Sport Boat

Corvette boat (looks awsome, but I'd spank it)
http://www.boatingworld.com/Media/vette.html

Good site to check out some reviews.
Boating World: Boat Buyer's Guide 2009

It's basically the fastest boat in quartermile from factory under $125k. Maybe even more? The initial "punch" out of the hole is pretty schweet. It hooks up I guess with no cavitation/prop wash/ all thrust is going the right direction. Prop boats send water flinging out everywhere at first. Very inefficient. Then add the amazing handling, you'd never go back to regular boats again. Runs in just inches of water. I close my eyes and just run it up on the beach. make lunch...Push back in and drive away. Other boaters thought I was crazy to run my lower unit into the sand. They must not have thought about a boat that size having jets. It's fun to go full blast, then hit reverse and dunk the front end. I doubt a prop boat could do that. If we had a two bouy circle track, a jet boat would do two laps for every one of a prop boat.

Runs in just inches of water. I close my eyes and just run it up on the beach. make lunch...Push back in and drive away. Other boaters thought I was crazy to run my lower unit into the sand.

I hope you have your wallet ready.........

you are $andblasting your impellor$ & housing$ and it$ going to hurt $ooner rather than later

jet boats are cool & sporty to drive and I am glad you like yours but there are many different types of boats for a reason-there are many types of needs and no one boat matches them all.

Jet boats have come a long way over the last 5 years they offer more size & storage and are not as loud as the early models were. The budget the original poster mentioned puts him in the older technologies rather than a larger twin 4 stroke supercharged models

I sold my old boat for under $5k.

Just a little info.....
Sea Doo has a patent on the flexible ring around the impellor. Every other jet manufacture the ring is considered a wear item and is of a rigid material. Check it out! To date, my dealer has never changed that part on any sea doo machine PWC or boat. My dealer is the largest sea doo boat dealer on the planet. (Kingsland Reach Marina Richmond VA). Boats, not PWC.
Running in shallow water at full speed would be a stupid thing to do on purpose. It's the accidents that I'm talking about. Just a few hundered in muck is no big deal. My old boat was just as fast when I sold it as when I bought it. I don't know.

Back