Anyone here using the Autozone Duralast cam sensor?

Nothing misleading, Greg- about 8 months ago I placed a bulk order for $39 sensors from Autozone, and I had a dozen caps sent to my door. The pricing and part description seems to fluctuate like a female's mood swings every 28 days:eek:

SouthernCal-
I didn't mean intentionally misleading by you. I meant that the Autozone sensors are coming complete, but it looks like your experience has been otherwise. Maybe in the past just the sensor was available, now they have superceded to the whole assembly, but their price has not changed. Surely Autozone will figure it out before too long. I see on Ebay there are a few guys selling them in the $80-$100 range. As these cars get older we are runnign out of original parts to keep them going. Take advantage of what is out there and stock up. Maybe in 10 more years someone will start reproducing this stuff, just liek musclecar parts. However nothing will be as good as original.

Greg Kring

About 2 years ago quite a few people advised that they had found an inexpensive source for complete cam sensors. Could have been Autozone, Rock, anyone or all of the common retailers / resellers for automotive parts. People were warned / advised on not only this forum but the other forum that it would be doubtful that a complete cam sensor could be obtained for that cost, but that it was more than likely only the cap. Everybody came back on the forum and advised that they had seen the picture in the parts book of "supply your favorite auto store name here" and that they were getting a complete cam sensor. The results were that only 1 or 2 came back on the board and advised that they received a complete cam sensor. A few came back on the forum and advised that they were allowed to get their money back as they had only received the caps. Most peeps that had oerdered complete cam sensors came back on the forum advising that they received caps only, and that the retailer had listed the sale as a "special Order" and that they were not given their money back. Some otherwise very respectable auto retailers were involved here.
Conjecture on my part, but I used to follow the cam sensor history as I found it very interesting that the price went from about $60 to as much as about $400 virtually overnight and did this repeatedly, on and off again. Not just once. Probably 3 or 4 times.
I think that the manufacturer of the cam sensors, and I think that there is only 1 or 2 actual manufacturers regardless of how many names you see on the caps, cam sensors, and their packaging boxes at one time had way too many in stock and drastically reduced the price to the retailers. The retailers / resellers in turn reduced their price, and then somebody over on the other board was researching parts and came across the fact that all of the retailers were selling the cam sensors very cheap, and ordered a bunch naturally. After getting his, he then released the information on the other board, that info got repeated on this board, and voila, a $ 60 cam sensor turned overnight into a $ 400 cam sensor or a $ 30 cap as everybodys stock ran low and found out that they manufacturers were out of stock too. So The manufacturer made another run of 50 or 100 cam sensors and then the price was reduced again to about $ 60, $ 70 or so. Everybody buys again, retailers run out of stock again, price soars again, well, you get the idea. Turbofish38, aka Mr. Eric Fisher could probably add or subtract to this history as necessary. So could Dennis Kirban, who released a lot of info on his weekly news a couple of years ago. Sorry for the long post. It is interesting to note that in all of that time, the GM dealers did not follow the trend of raising and lowering their list price as parts availability came and went, so to speak.

well, as a follow up post I have received two more complete cam sensors from Autozone for the $37 each price. I now have three spares so I should be good for awhile. I have modified a couple of these to use a Buick FAST system on my old 240Z datsun as well as a customer car, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it as the actual drive part rarely acts up. At these prices it is always good to have a spare.

Greg Kring

Yup

Ordered mine two days ago and recieved it today, guess what, whole assembley, sweet!!!! Need to order more now...;)

CAn anyone still get these cam sensors from autozone at that great price. I can only get them for over $300??

There are one or two guys selling them in the parts for sale section. I bought one as a spare. Their prices have went down a bit since I bought mine.

Fast Cam Sensor Mod

What modification do you have to make to the cam sensor to run a FAST system?

Thank you for all the replies but I would like to know if anyone still has an autozone in thier area which sells these sensors for $40. Mine local store is over $300.

I was only able to order them online at that price. Even the store would not match the online price. I guess they knew it was an error. I went straight home and ordered a few of them until the website would not let me order any more. Now they are quite expensive. I have seen a few of them on Ebay fairly recently. You can still find them in the $50-$100 range with a small amount of searching. I would at least buy a spare while you can.

I priced it today for $37.

I agree, SU164 comes up as $38 on my computer, and I just bought it last October. It is the complete sensor.

My my how times have changed in such a short time. Just did run the number. Check out the new prices.

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Product Detail - Camshaft Position Sensor

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Product Detail - Camshaft Interrupter-Magnet

If you can really still get them new for under $75 let me know. But I am pretty sure by now everyone knows they are thru the roof, even the ebayers know.

$89 for 1, $150 for 2 shipped.

New in box....

Buy them guys, you are not going to beat that price and will be crying when they are all gone. A sure thing for $89 beats a $45 part that is not available anymore. Only alternative is to convert over to a distributor!

Nowadays, they're one and the same. The part was discontinued from GMSPO a number of years ago, and the part is now manufactured for GM using their specs.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but WHY are cam sensors selling for $300+ dollars from the parts stores??? Is it a lack of demand issue? They surely don't cost anywhere near that much to make one do they??? I remember when you could buy one for $40 brand new and it was a GM piece. And our cars are NOT the only cars that have used this type of sensor.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but WHY are cam sensors selling for $300+ dollars from the parts stores??? Is it a lack of demand issue? They surely don't cost anywhere near that much to make one do they??? I remember when you could buy one for $40 brand new and it was a GM piece. And our cars are NOT the only cars that have used this type of sensor.

Actually, our cars are the only ones that use this exact cam sensor. Doesn't fit anything but the Turbo SFI Regals. Oh ,yeah and that pointy Pontiac from a couple of years later.