You can type here any text you want

Anyone in Illinois ever rebuilt a salvage title?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
Looking at a possible project. And wanted to know how hard it is to get the title rebuilt. Was a theft recovery.

as long as you got the title. after the car is fixed they inspect it and put white tags in door jambs.and when you get title back it will have an r in upper right corner of title. i have worked on rebuilt cars before. I would double check with the DMV or Illinois commerce commission. the car is hard to resell but if you building a race car for track use only i wouldnt even title it

What do they inspect? Am I going to have a Cat and all emissions on it? Or do they just make sure it is safe for the road?

What’s up Scott, I have done plenty of those. What they are looking for is that if the car ever was in an accident, it is fixed properly so that it's road worthy. Another words, you wouldn't kill your self nor you wouldn't kill anyone else. Make sure every single nuts and bolts are in place. The second and this is the case in most rebuilds; they need to see where all the parts came from. They want to make sure that you are not using any stolen parts. So if you fix the car the properly with documented parts with receipts and all you will be fine.

Now this is where most people get stuck. You have to have a rebuilder’s license to do this. I always go through a buddy of mine and give him few hundred bux or so. He always takes care of it for me. I don't know if the law has changed now but that's the way it was few years back. If you are serious, I can talk to him and see what he would charge. Also if the car is over certain years old and a rebuilder sends the title in without getting the car inspected, they will still issue a rebuild title. I believe that our cars are old enough where they don’t need to be inspected.

HTH

Prasad

What’s up Scott, I have done plenty of those. What they are looking for is that if the car ever was in an accident, it is fixed properly so that it's road worthy. Another words, you wouldn't kill your self nor you wouldn't kill anyone else. Make sure every single nuts and bolts are in place. The second and this is the case in most rebuilds; they need to see where all the parts came from. They want to make sure that you are not using any stolen parts. So if you fix the car the properly with documented parts with receipts and all you will be fine.

Now this is where most people get stuck. You have to have a rebuilder’s license to do this. I always go through a buddy of mine and give him few hundred bux or so. He always takes care of it for me. I don't know if the law has changed now but that's the way it was few years back. If you are serious, I can talk to him and see what he would charge. Also if the car is over certain years old and a rebuilder sends the title in without getting the car inspected, they will still issue a rebuild title. I believe that our cars are old enough where they don’t need to be inspected.

HTH

Prasad

Sure thing, speak to your friend for me. I may get into a possible project that was a theft back in 96. Don't wanna get into it if the thing would be hard to title. I wouldnt be trying to resell it so I am not worried about resale value. Just wanna make sure I can drive her and still get show car insurance so that my investment is protected.

Back