Anyone install horn button from BuickGn.com?

Steves87

Trying to install the button and took off horn pad. It has 2 retainer style clips on the back that need to come off. How do you get them off?

Yes if you remove the horn button with the 2 allen heads and turn over the button, it has 2 retainer type pieces that need to be removed to get access to the button.

i just put mine over the original one, i couldnt figure out how to get it off either, so i just stuck it down on the top and it looks like its a part of it, i got mine really flush.

Don't mess with those clips. Simply push the oem medallion out of the horn button pad and push in the new one. Once the allen bolts are out of the wheel, this should take less than 5 seconds to be ready to re-installed with the new BuickGN centerpiece.
HTH
Jim.

I have tried to push out the oem button, but it is still held in place by something and it has to be those clips or something else. It just doesn't seem to be as easy as taking out the 2 allen heads.

horn.jpg

These are the one way clips he is talking about. I haven't tried installing one on my GN yet as I put one of our overlays on it. We then came out with an exact duplicate of the actual button afterwards. Have sold tons of them since then and nobody has questioned the install until now. Got to get the time to do it on my GN and include some instructions. Soooo, does it just pry out from the front then? Here is what the replacement button looks like. http://www.buickgn.com/fullGNhorn2.jpg Obviously once installed all you see is the top surface.

The center as a BIG lip around it and will be a bear to push out. You have to work it out all the way around...no clips to take out that I have ever run into. It comes out from the top

Just got home and this was bugging me all day so into the garage I went. 10 minutes later, DONE! Piece of cake, no muss, no fuss.:D You could probably do it without even taking it off the steering wheel but you would have to disconnect the battery as you will be blowing the horn the whole time.:)

9 o'clock and 3 o'clock allen bolts need to be removed. Use a 5mm allen wrench. Other allen bolts are fake.

Turn the connector that holds the wire to the steering column to the left and it will release. Remove the horn assembly from the car. I heated up the center of the assembly to make the rubber a little more flexible, don't overheat! With a small screw driver pry under the existing button to get it started out of the groove it is seated into. Pull it the rest of the way out with your fingers. You will notice that the button has a small square area sticking out of the top. Our replacement has the same area on it. That is to locate it into a notch of the groove to assure it is aligned properly. If you pull the top of the rubber up you will see the notch. This has to be aligned for it to seat properly. Push it into the notch and just work your way around the button until it is seated and reinstall. EASY! No need to remove any clips, I believe those are for removing the rubber part from the main assembly which you don't have to do when just replacing the button. Hope this helps.

One note of caution! Don't overtighten the allen bolts when reinstalling. Barely snug is enough.