Anyone know about recon?

GNSteve

EFI Unlimited #4
Well, I kinda knew this was gonna happen...
I took my GN yesterday to get my safety. I went to 2 different places that said I needed to get a recon for my 17" rims. They said that the rules allow up to 1" over stock w/o a recon. They go by the sticker on the side of the door for the info, and it says the car comes with 15" rims. I guess you need a GNX to have the sticker that reads 16". Oh well.
Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone has been through the recon process lately and could tell me what to expect. I know they go over the whole car to look for "non-stock" stuff. I don't really see any problems there, but who knows?
Can anyone give me the scoop on this, or better yet, have a "easier" way to get my safety?:D
Just thought I'd pass this along because the safety process has become much more *strict* in looking for modified parts and relating them to a recon sticker. Thanks for any insight.:cool:

Steve

Do you know anybody that can get you safety check? I think how it goes is that you can go two sizes over the stock tire size, I measured mines is 25.5inches in diameter, so I assume if you're 17" with the tires go over the 25.5 you wont pass. I'll call my friend tody and find out for you and will post later for the info.

Polar AC

GNSteve, try Polar A/C. They are near Ron's Performance Center. I've never had a problem getting a safety from them. They did my other camaro by just taking a glance at it from inside the shop.;)
Their address is 2815 Kilihau St. Unit D

Still working on it...

Just so everyone knows....
The rule for rims is 1" over/under stock is allowed. Anything else will need a recon. To make things worse, I found out that the recon people may find other things on your car in violation, too! For example, if you have any type of aftermarket exhaust system, did you know you need a recon? Change any part of your intake system? Need a recon. I got this info from the people that work at the recon station.
But wait, it gets better! You cannot simply go down and let them check your car and get the sticker. You have to supply a written *affidavit* saying that the parts are certified and meant for your car. You have to get this paper from the place you bought the parts from. No paper, no sticker. I nearly sh&t when I heard this crap.
Well, I've got a few leads that will hopefully lead to a sticker. Hey John, do you know those guys at Polar, or did you just try your luck? Your car obviously modified? Most service station guys overlook other mods, but rims are hard to ignore!
Lastly, if anyone from the reconstruction division is reading this, you guys SUCK! You tell me why my 17" rims are any more unsafe than the stock 15" rims. Tell me why a cat-back exhaust that's legal in California more "unsafe" than the rusted-out system it replaced. Tell me how a K&N filter with a solid MAF pipe is dangerous. The list is endless. To me, recon is just another money-making venture for the state hidden under a so-called "safety issue." Bull****.
Oh well. Sorry for the rant. Things like recon have, and always will piss me off.

Steve

As long you don't get that a** hole with the cowboy hat! Here's what I got, go to where you got it (Sears yes?) there might be a charge, or my wife can try to help you next week monday, I will need your info and the brand and size for the rim and tires. Or you can go to Eurosport and pay $20 for it.

RECON! :mad: I need to get one for my truck this year! I no longer have the "phone-in" safety check connection. :(

Geoff

I was told that intake side modifications were okay. SMC is street legal. You might try going to Buick and asking for an affadavit or a part listing with GNX wheels. It will say 16" and 17" should be acceptable then. Tell the recon dude that the only difference between the GN and GNX is that GNX was twin turboed. :D

Thanks, but...

Guys,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. Basically, as far as I'm concerned, the whole recon/safety program is a farce. My suggestion is just to do away with recon entirely and keep the safety check process intact.
Why do that, you ask? Well, in light of all the recent accidents and speeding on our highways, the *powers* that be will insist on having some way to monitor the activities of car enthusiasts. Hence, keep the safety check intact to satisfy those morons.:D
Do away with recon entirely. It's at a point where its ridiculous already. To make up for the lost revenue from the recon, charge $1 more for safety. Problem solved. I won't go into the reasons again why I dislike the recon system again, but I must say that it's time for a change. (Keep the smog check away, though:eek: )
I've decided that I'm going to put some 15" rims on my car and get my safety Monday. When I'm done, my 17's go back on.

Steve

Steve, forget about the recon! Or are the cops stopping you? Get a regular safety check with your stock rims, then switch back. :)

If you don't have any rims w/tires, help me take the rims off my GN or T and use those. But please, no extended burnouts! :D

Geoff

Geoff,

Yup! You got that right! I've got a friend with a spare set of 15" rims. I'm going to go take care of all that Monday.
As for getting stopped, hasn't happened yet.:D (knock on wood)
Maybe if a put a giant wing on my trunk...:eek:
If the rims from my friend don't fit for some reason, I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks.

Steve

Update!

Well, I got my safety on Monday after a little effort. I put my friend's 15" IROC rims on my GN and went back to the place that turned me down earlier.
The guy said "looks good" and proceeded to check the rest of the car. It passed, naturally. Well, I guess I'm going to have to do this ritual every year. Sigh. What a load.:rolleyes:
Just thought I'd share my experiences with you guys. Hope yours go better than mine did. Recon still SUCKS!

Steve

Recon

O.K. Here's the scoop on recon, you can get a copy of Title 19 (Reconstucted Vehicles) From the D.O.T. , last time I got one for myself the office was on dillingham blvd by savers (Ewa side of building 2nd floor by the Old KSSK studio)used to be a $1.50 or so. to my knowledge, there have been no major changes since then. As far as wheels go, recon is not required unless the wheels are more than 1" larger or smaller in diameter. and 1.5"wider or narrower than stock, as i recall there is nothing that requires an affadvit (unless there have been changes since my last copy) on wheels larger than that , but said the inspector is to check for clearances, or the lack of it , suspension travel (modified suspensions require an alignment certificate within 30 days) minimum of 2" compression and rebound(also checked by the inspector) Any how, I'll get a current copy and any amendments and let you guys know,till then, be cool :cool:

Thanks for the update.
When I talked to the people down at the recon place, things *have* changed since the last time you checked, and not for the better, either.:D
Everything you say is true except the part of concerning the affidavit. I was told more than once that you will need it for rims, period. Also, you need an alignment when you put rims on your car, irregardless if your suspension is stock or modified.:mad:
To make a long story short, I did what most guys do when it comes to the safety check. Remove 17's, replace with 15's. Get safety. Replace 15's with 17's. Pau.
So, in short, everything's cool. Screw recon.:D

BTW,what's your name, HI85WH1?

Steve

anyone Know about recon

Hey GNSteve, I'm Robert in Wahiawa
:D with the guys at recon need to have them quote chapter, sub-paragraph, etc.. to see for yourself via that link, I tried but I couldnt open it . Unfortunatley, changing wheels only allows you to get a saftey check, it does not free you from the constraints of the law...you can be cited for no recon, but since we dont hot rod shoyu-burners...Hahahahahaha
:D ;) :p :cool: :D

Anyone know about recon

:cool: O K read thru title 19 again, (finally got acrobat to open) I cannot find referrence to needing an afffidavit anywhere, will do more research and let you guys know, but it appears that the last changes to title 19 are in '89 , I do know some guys there so I'll try to get ahold of them and find out what inquiring minds want to know...

Recon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Steve, Whered you go to get your safety check anyway, so we dont go there-Rob

recon...GRRRR

. concerning the affidavit. I was told more than once that you will need it for rims, period. like i said before ,have them show you in writing, along with the date change-Rob

Howzit Rob,

I went to Ace Transmission and Flagship in Wahiawa. They both told me the same thing about getting the recon for the rims. The recon station told me about the affidavit, not those guys. Simply put: no recon, no safety.
I agree with what you say about getting it in writing, however, nothing you can say to the service station will get them to give you a safety check if they think your car's in rule violation. Unless you're lucky enough to know someone.:D Also, I'm sure the recon guys will be more than happy to show you the changes in writing, along with the appropriate dates. Still don't change a thing, though.
So far, I've never got pulled over for lack of a recon sticker. (knock on wood) The same guy at Ace gave me my safety after I went back with 15" rims. IROC rims, no less. Go figure.
If you feel the need to research into this a little more, you'll find everything I've said to be correct. The recon station will tell you over the phone exactly what's needed to get a sticker if you decide to get 17' rims or larger for your TR. (alignment, affidavit, etc...)
I've come to the conclusion that the recon process in this state is a farce. If there comes a time when I'm *forced* to comply, then so be it. Until then, screw it. I know for a FACT that I'm not alone on my stance with this issue.
Take care.

Steve