You can type here any text you want

anyone know how to replace the window trim on the outside?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87grandnat

bought some new window trim on the outside for mine is hard, cracked and broken, im going to try and do it tomorrow and thought id ask how hard it is and if anyone could give me any tips for doing it, thanks

You'll have to remove the window supports on the inside of the door and the downstops and lower the window into the door. After that there are 4 or 5 screws holding them onto the door just under the inside of the door.

If you're talking about the outside rubber window sweep, I think the easiest way is to pull out the glass. You won't be able to get to the screws that hold the old strip on with the glass in the way. Makes the job simple with the glass out of the way and pulling the window is simple.

I just did this.

Take your inner door panel off, and remove the window stop at the bottom of the window. It is one screw. Then, remove the 2 inner window guides that have felt on them. Lower the window all the way into the door and you can get to the screws for the felt with a phillips bit locked in vise grips. Once you get a few turns on them they will come out by hand.

The problem is getting the screws started again because these are not drilled and tapped holes. They are self drilling screws that are always put in half a** and never straght. I would recommend pulling the glass if you want to put all 5 screws back in and not have them rattling aroung in the bottom of the door.

As long as you're taking the doors apart do do the seals you may want to consider buying a couple of Kirban's Window Rattle elmination kits in case you find something in the window mechanism broken when you get in there.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by Chris Cornett
The problem is getting the screws started again because these are not drilled and tapped holes. They are self drilling screws that are always put in half a** and never straght. I would recommend pulling the glass if you want to put all 5 screws back in and not have them rattling aroung in the bottom of the door.

A set of offset screwdrivers comes in real handy here. I had no problems getting them back in.

You can go with 1 size larger self tapping screws to replace the OEM ones, and put them in s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t.

AUVECO sells any kind of automotive hardware you'd care to think of - they will have proper screws.

:D

Without the window in the way, everything can be done correctly. Who likes fishing around with offset screw drivers. Many times these screws are corroded and super tight. Pulling the glass is much easier. Pulling it does not change window adjustment. If you replaced this strip with the glass in place, you just did it the hard way. ;)

well when i get the panel off ill see how hard it is to take the windows out (is it hard?) and if its not that hard ill probably take it out, plus ill probably replace the factory screws to, thanks for eveyones info.

Just put the window down to the point where you can see the three 10mm nuts that hold the window to the regulator. That's all that holds the window on. Towards the rear of the glass is a positioning appliance you need to remove. Two more 10mm nuts. Remove the parts on the door sill first, then the window nuts, then jockey the glass out.

To re-install, just reverse the procedure. Does not affect window positioning. Replace parts on the door sill in the same position as removed, unless you wish to change window adjustment.

By the time you play around installing or removing one screw with an offset screw driver, you can have the glass in and out. ;)

Back