Anyone out there work for a Vet or know someone who does?

PNYKLR

Howdy all my 2 yr old cat needs a special diet (he had some stones similar to kidney stones) my regular vet says he is the only one who can get the hill's science diet prescription hard food
and Im curious what it really goes for since Im sure he's ripping me off big time (supply and demand) - e-mail me at pnyklrcj93@aol.com if you can help- Thanks

The Purina special formula for kidney health in older cats has kept our 15 year-old alive & kicking for the last 4 years of kidney probs.

Eats nothing else---EVER---and has almost a pint of clean fresh and cold distilled water each day.

The Purina formula above has the least ASH of ALL the cat foods, which MUST be avoided.

Available in large bags at WalMart.

HTH :)

Chris,
Most of the major pet stores carry Hill's foods(such as Petsmart). You can also search on the web for homemade pet food formulas. If it is kidney problems, some of the other such as Purina do sell special formula foods for right much cheaper. Be glad you are feeding a cat special food! My German Shepard ate a roll of sandpaper(she swallowed it whole..didn't bother to chew!) Iam just shy under $1200 for this thus far, and we are no where near well. I'm having to feed her Hill's I/D diet, about $1.30/can. Kinda makes me mad when she just sits and looks at it, and I end up throwing it away. Trying to do some home made mix's now. Check this link, at bottom of page there's a link to LOTS of home made pet recipes. Plain boiled chicken & rice works too.
http://www.dragonbear.com/rec-sind.html
I had a cat once that had total renal(kidney) failure. I kept him going for over a year at home giving him hormone injections weekly, and running IV fluids 2x/day to flush his kidneys. Back then kidney transpalants in cats were rare, more common nowadays at vet schools(costs about $4000) Good luck!

I don't work at a Vet, but I do work at a boarding kennel. The Hills foods, just like NC Typhoon said, can be bought at any major pet store like PetsMart, PetCo, etc... The vets, at least around here, only charge a couple cents more than the pet stores. The Hills food is just expensive any way you buy it. Hope the cat gets better!

The hills my vet gave the cat is S/D prescription cat food to dissolve the I believe it was kidney stones he had inside him
Supposedly only the vet can get it since its a prescription- I even went on Hill's website to confirm that :(

Do use distilled water for your kitty...less strain on the kidneys.

Hope your cat's better soon, Chris.