You can type here any text you want

Anyone use John's Performance torque arm and/or panhard bar?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
Looking for opinions/feedback from users of these parts...good or bad, doesn't matter. TIA

they are spohn products

spohn.com......more info there. I just ordered the lowers, lca brackets, and the torque arm with the poly bushing....sphon says it takes a week to get the torque arm made...so I'll let you know what i think. I looked at all the other torque arms out there, the spohn is the easiest to install in the tta, a true bolt in I'm told. and I got mine with the front driveshaft loop also. It replaces the factory tranny crossmember, and the tranny bolts to the new spohn piece....

Don't throw your back out installing it:eek: . Grumpy is right, you'll no longer need to balance your tires, because it won't make a difference!

Hmmm,....maybe some of you guys installed it wrong.

When I put the Moser 9" in my TA, I went with the Spohn torque arm/crossmember setup, Spohn panhard bar, and Spohn lower control arms with relocation brackets.

Initially I also put on a poly tranny mount. That stayed on for like 2 days. Vibration was terrible. Went to Autozone, bought a stock rubber tranny mount......smooth as a Cadillac. I really like the ablility of being able to adjust my pinion angle. Strength is a plus too,...I've heard of a few people bending stock torque arms with extremely hard launches.

Robert ...we run welded up "stockers"...been 1.3 short times in the 9s :) ....never broke a stocker on 11 sec cars but they do "twist" ;) ....

Originally posted by Hi-psi
I've heard of a few people bending stock torque arms with extremely hard launches.
I snapped my Dad's in 3 places on one launch! It was a 4th gen torque arm in his 95 Comp TA. 5500 launch did it in. Didn't even know it was broke until I got the slip and pulled away. Thought I broke the rear.

Steve replaced it with a newer, beefier design and all is well. Don't know if the TTA one got beefed up or not.

Originally posted by Grumpy
Robert ...we run welded up "stockers"...been 1.3 short times in the 9s :) ....never broke a stocker on 11 sec cars but they do "twist" ;) ....

My stocker wasn't exactly straight when removed after MANY 1.60 60fts. :D

Originally posted by Grumpy

At 130+ which is where my car should end up next time out ,You can't rely on welded up stock parts,Or should I say you don't want to

My car was fine after I changed the poly mount to a stock 400 rubber mount.I wouldn't recommend the bar unless your out to get the most out of it.They are a nice piece though for the price,or any price.I run the chromoly adjustable LCA's and Panhard bar also.

When I find the right convertor,It should 60' and make me :D

I'm having a hard time understanding how the RUBBER mounted spohn torque arm and panhard bar is going to make that much vibration in the suspension??? Seems to me that the solid mounted parts would do this, but rubber...how can that be? As with any solid suspension I expect a certain degree of "stiffness" when compared to the stamped/thin walled OE suspension parts, but isn't this what we're after by replacing these parts??? If the spohn parts I have comming help to reduce by 60' times by reducing unwanted flex and whatever else bad is going on down there, well, then I'm happy! Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback...keep'em comming.

turbov6joe,
The problem is not with the bar,It's with the Poly mount,I thought that my car(New motor at the time was out of balance)That's how bad the vibration was.

I partly solved this problem after talking to Robert Crissafulli ,He had installed a poly mount on his(At that time) completely stock suspensioned TTA.

He was telling me that he had a real bad vibration problem after installing it,So he took it off and it was fine.

It's due to the car being a unibody,and these aren't the smoothest running engines either.

Robert,I'm sending you that picture right now.

Badd Azz TTA,
Are you talking about a poly motor mount or torque arm bar? It sounds as though your on 1 idea, and I'm on another??? What does our less than smooth idling engines have to do with vibration in the torque arm, I must be a bit dense today as I fail to understand all of this??? I would tend to think that the polly torque arm would be less vibramatic (new word...not sure if it's in the English vocabulary or not) than the solid mounted unit.

I am sorry,

I was referring to the transmission mount. My torque arm is a spherical chromoly rod ended bar that mounts directly to the new Spohn X-member that the bar comes with.

Vibration would be transferred through any style of a harsh mount to the unibody.I could not even imagine how bad a solid mount would be.That's why they are still not out with the poly motor mounts yet.When they do come out ,I don't want em'.

Here's a picture of how it mounts,Alot different from the stock arm.
Spohn Torque Arm

You'll be very happy with it.

Thanks for the clarification, many other people speak highly of this torque arm. A little vibration doesn't scare me, but to feel like I have bumhole massagers in my seats bothered me a tad! I can't wait for spring with the new torque arm, panhard bar, and a set of REAL race tires to see what kind of ET's this car will make. I ran for all intents and purposes 12.13 @ 120 MPH with a lousy 1.97 short time, I finger this new combo should be worth mid 11's with a 1.6 something short time. I have a T brake I've yet to really launch off of using the Nitto DR's. I'm think a set of M&H Racemasters in size 305-45-16 or Hoosier QT Pro's are in order for next race season. Thanks for the info...

Whoops!

Just finished installing my TTA rear end! Forget everything I've already said about the vibrations! I think many years ago when I broke the driveshaft and bent the yoke (Both replaced) I figured the vibration was from my Spohn torque bar. IT WASN'T! Swapped out the 10 bolt for the 9 bolt and just got back from a 120mph blast and there wasn't any vibrations:D . (Vibration must have been a bent pinion) Not only is this in a car with the spohn torque bar/tranny mount, but it also has polyurethane bushings everywhere except the engine/tranny mounts. ZERO vibrations. Next on order is there panhard bar & trailing arms. ;)

So was the final verdict the Spohn unit is recommended?

Did anyone get the one with the chromemoly spherical rod end for the street?

Back