Anyone used POR 15 and topcoat on stock T wheels?

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
I just finished using the POR 15 on some front suspension parts with good results. I am tired of the T wheels showing brake dust, and I do have shields. I have a couple 8.5" Vector T style wheels that need a treatment also (one has some greenish powdercoat or something)

Looking through the POR 15 magazine, I thought I could degrease the wheels with brake cleaner, coat with POR 15, then topcoat with one of their Topcoat Metal products. The topcoat comes in Gloss Black, Semi-Gloss Black, and Medioum Gloss Silver.

One idea I had was to polish the smooth spoke and perimeter area of the T wheel since I have some air dremel tools. If you have done this work before, what attachment for the air tools have you used, and did you polish the wheel before or after any powdercoating or POR 15 application.

Anyone? Gurus or even opinions?

Any wheel gurus here for my question? I have a damaged wheel that I might just have to use as a test specimen.

I have polished the T wheels on my 87. Plan on about three hours per wheel. The aluminum that the factory wheels were made of is very hard and is difficult to polish. My Vector wheels were much softer aluminum and easier to polish. I have not tried to clear the wheels, but use Meguires HOT WHEELS cleaner in the pink bottle. Occasionally I touch up the polish with Mothers Mag Wheel polish. I am worried that clear might chip off then I would have to start over again. There are some companies that refurbish the wheels for $125 each. They offer a lifetime warranty, providing you don't put weights on the outside of the wheels.

Thanks for the input Dave. I was hoping for at least one reply :) . What type of dremel attachment did you use to polish the wheel and what type of clearcoat used over the polished wheel?

Anyone use the POR 15 and topcoat on their wheels? I think I will just have to coat the wheels and avoid the spoke areas, then polish the spoke portions. Maybe I will just have the only "unique" TR wheels if no one else has tried this;)

Tim

I did not use any clear coat. My tool of choice was a right angle die grinder. The demel would not get the spokes near the hub.

why not get the wheels sandblasted before you do anything-this way you get a fresh clean start.the same way they do it before powdercoating a wheel.HTH

Dave, thanks for the email with all the detailed info. Glad you mentioned that right-angle die grinder. I wasn't quite sure what would be the best tool since I have not done the work before.

Matt, I am going to look into the sandblasting at a local machine shop that is pressing my A arm bushings and ball joints in at this time. Looks like another TR winter project is about to begin :)