Anyone using the Metra 4x10 to 6x9 rear speaker adapters?

BlackMetal

I have the adapters sitting here, my speakers don't arrive til Monday, so I'm having a little trouble visualizing how it all goes together. Mainly about the metal hangers that came with the adapter. Do the Metra hangers completely replace the factory speaker supports in back? Seems kinda strange to go to a larger speaker but have less support holding it up?

Not sure that anyone is using them, but if you are, a picture of them installed would get me a head start.

I'm using the Metra adapters with my Polk 6X9's in the rear. You won't be able to use the factory supports under your new speaks and will have to use what comes with the Metra kit. You'll see there are clearance problems with the torsion bar inside the trunk that will interfere here. Depending on the size of your magnets on your 6X9's, you may or may not have problems here. Wish I could send you a pic but my PC is hosed so I can't download or attach. Sorry! Hope what I've shared will help you. Will say that the 6X9 upgrade makes a big difference in sound quality (esp bass frequencies) even if you keep factory head unit. Use some additional support to secure if needed such as wire, etc. Mine (rear speakers) sat wedged under that torsion rod so they aren't going anywhere.

hey chicago,
these are a little tricky,there are LEFT AND RIGHT sides when it comes to the hangers you got with the new kit...they will not install backwards,they are very good at holding the the rear speakers in(youll see when its time to mount...)one side of your hangers should be longer at the ''double hook'' side the longer side also faces rear..look at the adaptors,you see the curved/rounded side on top?that faces the rear of car..if i got a set ill post some pics and tricks to get those suckers to mount without going crazy,it will be worth the trouble like Evans said the response of the 6x9's are better...

Ok thanks for the head start. I did already notice that one of the hooks on the Metra hangers was longer, so I figured it probably mattered which way you install them.

Seems like Metra took the easy way out with this product, the instructions just said "follow the instructions that come with your 6x9 speakers" haha.

DO NOT DO THAT! Bolt the by9s to the plastic adapter. Then put them into the car and hold them up under the rear deck. You can turn it so the 6x9 angles towards the front or rear of the car. It only "fits" one way. Then get your metal hooks supplied with the kit and put them in the factory holes. Bend it around the frame of the 6x9 on each side of the magnet. You should see how it works from there. Sometimes that last hook can be tough. Good luck, I can take pics if necessary!