You can type here any text you want

ARP Head Studs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
What's with the nut on these studs? It seems to be 14 mm but it doesn't fit really good. Feels like it won't take 80 ft lbs? Do I need a 12 pt. 14 mm socket?

I have ARP part number 123-4203, 12 point nuts. 1/2" 12 point socket fits perfectly. HTH.

Stud Installation

I am considering installing a set of head studs. When you install the stud in the block, how tight should it be? Finger tight? Vise grip tight?

I've seen a special off-set tool that can grip studs from the side to twist them in using a ratchet or torque wrench. But you can't really torque them to a spec. using this tool.

After installation of the head, does the torque placed on the top nut insure that the stud thread grip forces are correct?

new arp studs have an allen hex in the end of the stud (think its 1/4" allen , just twist the studs down to the end of threads with sealer and tighten using a small allen wrench , makes getting them out easier too making headgasket changes possible without pulling the motor even with a/c

Head Studs

Thanks much. I've been wondering about this for years. Maybe I'll go this way.

All the best, Bob

Back