At the track with the new combo (TE-60, etc)

Raven

Here - watch THIS!
I had the opportunity to go to the track (Norwalk) Friday and hooked up with a bunch of great Ford guys for their Smackdown event. (Kudos to Ben Dorn from Lima for putting together a great event.) I saw a LOT of fast cars there!

It was a HOT, humid day (mid 80's, nearly 100% humidity) that had the start delayed until nearly 10:30 AM due to an earlier gully washer and then had to end early due to even more heavy rain :mad: . But man, were the cars flyin' in spite of the heat/humidity.

Obviously, I didn't get to see every car run (must have been nearly 70 cars there plus a few bikes!) but I did see tons of 5.0's ripping off times from 14's to mid/upper 11's depending on mods (more in the high 12's and 13's). I watched a buddy running solid 11.80s with his blown 5.0 and it rocked!

I saw several '03/'04 Cobras solidly in the 11's, some in the 10's and even saw a white '98 running mid 9's. :eek: My son's '03 Cobra (chip, pulley, tires, and exhaust) ran a wicked 12.05 @ 119mph on DR's - into a 20+mph headwind that was ripping in our face all afternoon. That black car of his is definitely upper 11's easily with more track time to perfect his launch on the new DR's. :eek:

I saw a few LS1 cars (SS's and a couple of WS6's) but they couldn't get out of the 13's no matter how hard they tried due mostly to mediocre driving from what I saw. Also saw a killer 10 second '70 442 nailing 10.30's - what a gorgeous car that sounded almost like a prostocker with its big block N/A Olds motor.

It was my first time out with the new combo - Craig TE-60, Meese 24 stock location I/C, THDP, Razor's Progressive Alky kit, a Cold Air kit and an Eric Marshall (TurboTweak) chip. I knew I had to spend a lot of time tuning so my goal was to get a good 12 second slip with some healthy mph.

I started small on the boost and worked slowly on getting the alky system dialed in on each pass. On my next to last run (@ 18 psi) the car netted a 12.93 @ just shy of 108 mph. My last run (set @ ~19.5 psi boost and hot lapping the car since we knew rain was coming) ran a decent 12.76 @ 109 into the wind - which at that point had to be nearly 30 mph from looking at the flags! Both of the last two runs were @ ~ 4-5psi launches. The O2's were in the mid 760's and I still had less than 1* of KR. The next run should have been mid 12's easily (I had just set it up for ~20 psi) but I never got the chance.

That's when the storms moved in (hard and fast).

Obviously, there is a LOT of room on this combo since I dropped nearly two tenths off of the ET just between the last two runs with only a little more boost and no other changes! :D :D This is all still with the stock converter too so I know there's more on the plate when I get that changed as well.

I'm fairly confident that the car has mid/high 11's in it with more tuning and boost plus the converter. I can't wait to get back to the track because I was just getting the turbo/alky dialed in and still had a solid 43 psi F/P with the line off (and I hadn't even played with the F/P yet). I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car handles 23-24 psi with a solid tune and a converter.

Gotta love the alky - this was all on 93 octane pump gas!

Now I know why you have been throwing money into your car, trying to keep up with your BOY!
You may be a little slower but I bet your payments are less!

Originally posted by ES1
Now I know why you have been throwing money into your car, trying to keep up with your BOY!
You may be a little slower but I bet your payments are less!

It's all fun isn't it? :D

The old question is oh-so-true: How fast do you want to go? Easy! How much do you want to spend?

And since my 'old' car is paid for, I'm pretty sure my payments are less! :D But man, I love his Cobra - even if I did only see its tail lights when everything was stock on my GN!

But hopefully, things are about to become a lot more interesting. ;)

Hey Raven

turn up the wick and race your son i assure you he will be seeing your tail lights

blown n/a is nice but theres nothing like a turbo

Johnny

Have a good one

Originally posted by badboy86gn2
Hey Raven

turn up the wick and race your son i assure you he will be seeing your tail lights

blown n/a is nice but theres nothing like a turbo

Johnny

Have a good one

You're right Johnny - there is nothing like a turbo. I can't wait till we get them back to the track and I get a chance to turn up the boost for the TE-60's 'sweet spot'. ;)

I'll keep ya posted.

Guess I might have to start spending some money, once you get the missing pieces put together! ;) For now, I'll stick with what should be mid-11s @ 120... all for $1500! I think you'll see easy mid/high-11s, once you get the converter and do some more tuning. And to think that you didn't want to run alky...

Make that 3000+ DA :eek: I'd say we should both be pretty happy with the results, given the conditions! :D

... but theres nothing like a turbo

I'll agree, but it's a lotta fun have the instant torque of a roots blower. Of course, X2C motorsports is already going 8s with their stock longblock turbo 03. Choices, choices...

Originally posted by ViciousV6
Make that 3000+ DA :eek: I'd say we should both be pretty happy with the results, given the conditions! :D

I'll agree, but it's a lotta fun have the instant torque of a roots blower. Of course, X2C motorsports is already going 8s with their stock longblock turbo 03. Choices, choices...

Must have missed something here - what is the '3000+ DA' you are referring to at Smackdown?

That was definitely a FUN day. Your car is incredible and even with the converter/tranny work, I'm not sure my old heap will do what yours is certainly capable of! 120mph is flat out flyin' for the paltry investment of $1500!!!

Imagine what we both would have had that day without that 30mph headwind, the heat and the ungodly humidity!

And the alky thing? You're right - I did resist it as long as I could. Then, I just couldn't fight the urge any longer and fell right off the wagon!

Actually, it was the idea of having to buy race gas if I stuck it out without the alky that convinced me. I like the idea of being in 'kill' mode all the time. :D

At the prices we're now paying at the pump for 93 octane THAT should be race gas!

3000+ DA is the altitude correction, given the weather conditions. I'm no expert, but it's basically like running 3000 ft. above sea level. Add that to the 30mph headwind, and conditions were worse than we thought!