ATR exhaust system

yruslow

I'm thinking about replacing my factory exhaust on my'87 Gn with a 2.5 ATR stainless steel system and my question is this I heard this system is really quite. How quite is it ? Is it quiter then stock?

Most likely not nearly as quiet as stock, my Kenne-Bell 2.5" duals aren't they have stainless Ultraflows on that system.

3" Crossflow is a nice system and not quiet but deep and growly with the ATR Pitbull muffler. I've got that system on the GN and I like it better for sound than a 2.5" system.

Just my .02. Both mine are stainless for anti-corrosion. :)

Originally posted by salvageV6

3" Crossflow is a nice system and not quiet but deep and growly with the ATR Pitbull muffler. I've got that system on the GN and I like it better for sound than a 2.5" system.

Ditto :D

...and 3" pipes have a nice look coming off the back.....

anything less than a dual 3 atr in stainless steel is not worth the trouble of installing. you won't get more power than a single shot 3, but hey, dual 3's are wicked mean under the car...get the dual 3's from atr in stainless. just trust me on this one bro...

The 2.5 ATR system will be a little louder than stock but not a lot with a small turbo. Many say they are pretty quiet on thier cars.
Just go to the duel 3" and you will never have to upgrade again no matter how fast you may decide to go in the future.

ATR is a nice 3" inch system also. My old 3” system rusted out in the turns before the mufflers, it was not stainless. I am about to install a new 3" ATR duel system without the Pit bulls. The Pit bull’s case is too small to quiet my stage engine enough. I already found that on my old 2.5 ATR system (a long time ago), however they flow as good as anything on the market. I am using a pair of Ultra Flow welded case again. I wish they were stainless in this oval case unit. They are quiet with no drone unless you are in the pedal then they are deep. I love their sound without the drone on my car, guess I am getting old. Remember different engine combos all sound a little different with the same system. The larger the muffler case the quieter and deeper the tone. Exhaust sound is almost like a torque convertor it's little different on every car.

I have the ATR Crossflow 3" stainless like Salvage V6.

Don't worry, it won't be as quite as the dual 2 1/2. If it's too loud you can easly quite it down.

The ATR dual 3" is also nice for the reason you dont have to drill any holes it uses existing factory hangers. Not to mention it looks real Boss having those big 3" pipes coming out behind the rear tires!

I wish I still had all my old factory hangers. Anyone one have a set ? I think my were removed by my muffler shop years ago.

I do not see how anyone could go wrong with the duel 3" ATR , They polished the tips of the pipes and it looks great. I look forward to getting it installed.

I just finished installing an ATR 2-1/2" ss system. It fits good, but is a little close to the passengers side floor pan in one spot and the tail pipes stick too far out away from the car. Both tips need to have about 2" cut off of the ends. The sound is quiet, but not "stock" quiet.

Thanks,

James West

I just had the ATR dual 3" system installed a few weeks ago. I drove the car around with the stock cat back (and 3.5" THDP and PTE54) for a few days before getting it installed. The car sounds much healthier with the ATR system throughout its range. And now I am done with the exhaust for good. :)

BTW, it is louder than stock. But in a deep, throaty (to me unoffensive) way.

hello, i have the dual 2 1/2 ATR SS system on my TR and it's quiet till you stomp on it and then it comes alive. and you can run in the 10's thru the muffs if you ever need to.as far as looks go's,i got my tail pipes polished and they look good.and for the passenger side floor pan,mine barly hits if the torque strap is a little loose but it can be fixed pretty easly.it flows more than the crossflow exhaust,and my uncle had one on his WE4 and he hated it cause he didn't have enough room for the 3" tail pipes to fit right.

turbocody
87 T

Originally posted by turbocody

and for the passenger side floor pan,

mine barely hits if the torque strap is a little loose

but it can be fixed pretty easly.

The HRPartsNStuff poly mounts are the cure for "motor-rock",
while the torque-strap/turnbuckle "band-aid" is now thankfully retired.

HTH :)

the ATR muffler was alot louder then stock
my single shot was louder then my stock dualers
i can imagine the dual 3 inch would be loud
well loud for a turbo charged v6 anyways

i think your confusing the atr pitbull mufflers with the Hooker aerochamber mufflers

now those mufflers are super quiet

ATR GNX Exhaust System

Anyone have experience with fitment of the ATR GNX exhaust system?

(Richard Clark recently installed one on one of his (many) GNs, and had some "challenges" along the way.)

So far as I know, ATR makes the only SS exhaust system for cars with the GNX rear suspension...correct?

TIA!! :)

Also have the 2 1/2" ATR setup, don't exactly remember what the stock sound was like but it is louder but in a good way. The only problem is at around 68-72mph(about 2,200rpm) there is an annoying drone sound, faster or slower then it goes away.

I'd go with the 3" crossflow, $100.00 cheaper(if u get dual stainless Pitbulls) and weighs 14lbs less, but I don't know about the sound quality.

ATR

Reportedly, the ATR 2.5" SS exhaust piping with SS Ultraflow mufflers is a thoroughly excellent, durable, attractive, & mellifluous choice, according to the most discriminating exhaustophiles.

HTH :)

I have the ATR SS 2.5 with SS pitbulls, and I think it sounds mean. Definitely louder than stock. I don't run a CAT though, and I'm sure it would be a little quieter with a cat.

Jim Testa installed my system, and I compared the sound of my car to his - he has the 3" ATR and it's a good deal throatier than the 2.5 with the same mufflers. I kinda wish I had done the 3" originally, but...

Some feel that the extra weight of the 3" system is one reason to stick with the 2.5, but I would think the weight difference would not be something you'd notice.

Either way, they make the best systems you can buy in my opinion.

Rich

I have the HP116D exhaust that you speak of. It is by far the quietest that I have ever heard. AND I HAVE A GUTTED CAT!:eek:
You wont be disappointed